Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Last week, we spoke about our food "deal breakers" the stuff that we absolutely cannot abide, when it comes to our kids. I loved reading your comments, as well! Since we're in such a sharing mood, I thought I would share a confession, as it relates to food. You see, while we try to stay balanced with regard to the food we have in our house, when I am at work, well, it's a different story.

Perhaps it's rationalization, perhaps it's the hectic workday pace, or some exciting combination of the two, but I find myself eating differently while I'm in the office. I mean, yes, I generally still have a reasonably healthy salad for lunch, but it's just that from around 10 AM onward, I turn into some sort of voracious snackmonster. Chips! These tiny delicious mints! A cookie the size of my head!  AN ACTUAL, LITERAL BARREL OF (HONEY WHEAT) PRETZELS. They are all invited to the party on my desk! Oh, and let's not forget the assorted showers, parties, and birthdays that carry with them a whole host of baked goods, and the occasional ice cream cake. It's a wonder I don't keel over from some sort of sugar shock.

After all that, I then come home and hide my sordid little secret with roasted carrots, and Brussels sprouts, and baked chicken. All of which I really ENJOY, mind you,and absolutely love eating and making, but my guilty conscience kind of weighs on my mind. I don't really worry about my kids being sheltered from junk food, and not knowing how to handle themselves in the real world, or anything like that. (Like I mentioned, we do have some junk in the house.) I just feel this vague sense of remorse, since I tend to eat mayyyyybe on the...not so great side during the day, all the while striving for a real sense of balance at home.

I wonder if any other parents face this. Maybe it's more prevalent for parents like me, who work outside the home (all the easier to hide the guilty-making treats!), but I suppose pretty much any parent, despite the healthy food they put out for their kids, can have their own guilty snacks, when they're kids aren't looking.

What about you? Are you generally consistent in your eating habits, or do you occasionally sneak  something you wouldn't keep in the house/give your kids?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM

lol...that would be my hubby!  he always wakes up to have cookies in the middle of the night! lol

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I don't want to talk about it.  And by "it" I mean the late-night snacking I do while no one is watching . . .

Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM

we are too...

Quoting Rushn311:

I am a junk food person and so is the hubby/kids. I am trying to get healthier foods/habits in the house, but it's not something that is easy for me to break since I've been doing it for so long.

Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:39 AM

lol

Quoting goddess99:

I'm pretty consistent. I always hide my snicker wrappers in the same place, my car's garbage bag. *sigh

Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:40 AM

chocolate would be my major downfall!  i can't resist

Quoting slw123:

I have my moments when I am a food sneak, lol.  But I'm an adult and I am making that choice fully understanding what the consequences are.  Coke Icees and chocolate anything are my main downfalls.  Ugh.  But I try not to indulge too often.

Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:41 AM

it's always nice to indulge every now and then!

Quoting Charizma77:

When dh and I go out alone we will indulge in a good dessert that's expensive and fattening, it's a good thing we don't go out alone very often..lol

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I have a pretty routine eating habits but I do have a secret stash in my closet but I don't share.  LOL

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I wish I could keep a stash,my kids find everything lol

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Me too!!

Quoting goddess99:

I'm pretty consistent. I always hide my snicker wrappers in the same place, my car's garbage bag. *sigh

momkaribg
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM

If i eat something i dont want to give my kids. I will do it when DH and I go on date nights.

dusky_rose
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I'm a SAHM, and I try to keep the treats up high and out of sight. So I might snack on them, but they aren't staring at me and begging me to eat them. Also when I bake cupcakes, I keep them in the freezer and only get one out if I want a treat or I want to give my son a treat.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)