Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Am I Overreacting to This?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM
  • 62 Replies
So my 5 year old son, Jordan, went to a minor league baseball game last season. At the end of the game Jordan got an autograph from one of the players (he will be called Player). Jordan completely treasures the autograph and is always saying "I want to be just like Player one day." I wouldnt have a problem with that except that Player has issues with drugs. In 2008 he got into drugs and then in October 2011 he was arrested for marijuana possession. I guess what im trying to say is that Jordan's role model is a great ball player with drug issues. Im worried about that but dh is not. Am i overreacting to this whole thing?
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmeraldEyezz
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

It might be hard to explain the pitfalls of drugs or drug addiction to a 5 year old, but schools are starting earlier nowdays. I would be honest with your son, if you think he can comprehend the info intellectually/emotionally. You can tell him in very basic terms "drugs are bad, you must always say "NO! if anyone ever asked you to try them--drugs ruin lives!" You can explain that even if a person tries drugs once, sometimes they become hooked on them and can't stop, and then they are very sorry they ever tried them." You can tell your son "Player made a huge mistake and tried drugs once and he got hooked, so now he is trying to stop, so his body stays healthy and he can play the game he loves, and because it's the right thing to do."

Hope this helps! :)

JMama22
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM
9 moms liked this
Does your son know that player is into drugs? If he doesn't know I wouldnt want to ruin that for him. He says he wants to be just like him bc he's a great athlete and nice (I'm assuming nice since he gave your son an autograph). If your son doesn't know about the drugs I would just wait till he brings it up...my son is 2 so I haven't reached that yet...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMama22
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM
No I don't think you're overreacting, I just think you are mom an want to protect your child from any harm or disappointment :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM
12 moms liked this

He's 5... he doesn't fully comprehend what drugs are, let alone that his idol has issues with it. I'd let it go. The people he adores will change as he gets older, depending on interests and what he discovers about them later on in life. As long as you and your DH are good role models, I wouldn't worry about the rest.

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM

What she said.  :)

Quoting jltplk25:

He's 5... he doesn't fully comprehend what drugs are, let alone that his idol has issues with it. I'd let it go. The people he adores will change as he gets older, depending on interests and what he discovers about them later on in life. As long as you and your DH are good role models, I wouldn't worry about the rest.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I think you're overreacting. He's 5 not 15. He just likes baseball nothing else.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I can see where you are coming from. Let me give you a pat on the back mama! Being that he is only 5 he probably doesn't know about the drug issue. I wouldn't say anything to him at this age about it to him if it were me unless he gets in trouble with the team and can't play for that reason. In the mean time try to get his attention off of him so much. Do you know what I mean?

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM
3 moms liked this
Overreacting for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I agree with this and it's always good to be concerned too I think....right now he is focused on the ball playing skills and hopefully the player may be able to get help and pull things together in the other area too.

Quoting jltplk25:

sonmom
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

If your son brings up the subject of drug use and the player then this is your chance encourage communication about explore how he feels about the player and drugs. If your child says nothing about the players drug use then do not make it an issue.

The focus is your son and what he thinks about it. Teaching a child to look beyond the immediate negative or positives consequences of his choices is the challenge. We all make impulse choices but this does not mean it was the best choice for us in the long term.

The most important thing is parents must teach their child at home instilling strong beliefs and morals. We must be good role models consistently even if it means we have to admit we were wrong. Above all be honest because this builds a close and strong relationship.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)