Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Anyone ever moved to another state away from grandparents? Need advice.

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM
  • 32 Replies

My husband has been looking for a new job.  He applied for a job in NC (we are currently in NY) and they asked him to interview.  We told both our parents about the interview, who live very close to us right now.  My mother was fine with it as my brother lives in NC and eventually she will move down there someday.  However, his parents are fuming mad because if we move away then we will be taking there only grandchild with us.  I feel horrible that they are so upset and it is weighing heavy on our decision to move if my husband gets the job.  I feel they are being a bit selfish in this whole matter but I also understand where they are coming from.  I don't know what to do or say to make this situation any smoother.  Any advice or experiences you can share that might help me!!  I have had such anxiety over this whole thing.  Thanks.

They are not in a position to move also, at least not for a few more years. 

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3brown1blue
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM
...missing some important context here...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddielynsmomma
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

yea sorry hit enter too quickly...i edited.

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Would this new job better your lives? If so, then they need to realize that unfortunately for them, your lives are more important than their feelings. Eventually they would get over it. I say if this is what your family needs then they will just have to deal with it. My brother lives in Japan...my parents were fine with it. One of my sisters lives in NJ, again, they were fine with it cuz it betters the family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM
We are a military family, so yeah, we have never lived in the same state as granparents!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Yeah. We moved to Nj last year. Moved back to de. My family had nothing to do with that decision though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

You have to do what's best for you and your husband. Your parents will learn to adjust.

CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
We moved away from my mom and its been awful for us all. My husbands family is here but they aren't a grandparent like my mom.
We miss her terribly but had to do what we had to do. You can be sad to leave but they shouldn't make you feel guilty for doing something good for your future and their little grandson!
With that said I cant wait to go back home. While tx has been good to us its not my home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nursemc
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

It's very hard, I moved from Nevada to New York so even coming to visit is not impossible but very expensive. I'm jealous of people who have family to help them out. I know people whose kids are at their grandparents every weekend, every school break and while I wouldn't go that far it would be nice sometimes. That being said this is not the 18th century. While nothing can replace a real hug from grandma we have phones, email, IM, Skype, Facebook, the list goes on and on. There is no reason grandparents cannot still be a big part of a child's life no matter how far apart you live.

3brown1blue
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I honestly wouldn't care...if it benefits our immediate family, I'd do it without moments hesitation ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3brown1blue
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
My mum lives like 2 minutes away and I feel like I have to pull teeth and nails to get her to watch our kids in order for us to have a date ... even if to watch them for a few hours so we can buy presents without them around ...

Quoting nursemc:

It's very hard, I moved from Nevada to New York so even coming to visit is not impossible but very expensive. I'm jealous of people who have family to help them out. I know people whose kids are at their grandparents every weekend, every school break and while I wouldn't go that far it would be nice sometimes. That being said this is not the 18th century. While nothing can replace a real hug from grandma we have phones, email, IM, Skype, Facebook, the list goes on and on. There is no reason grandparents cannot still be a big part of a child's life no matter how far apart you live.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)