Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

DD HATES her hair washed but LOVES

Posted by   + Show Post

Water?! She absolutely loves to take showers/baths get her body washed up but screams when i rinse her hair??

Ive "cupped" her forhead so it doesnt get in her face, ive tried leaning her head back, I even bought an detachable shower head to see if that would be more comfortable for her (more control of the water and where its going) NOTHING works................

Any advice? Obviously I wash her hair, cause shes not gonna walk around with dirty hair but I hate putting her through that, specially since she screams the whole time...

Shes 16 months btw

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM

That's a little young for the advice I was going to give. But my dd at like 5 was starting in with the I don't like having my hair washed so I filled a fancy decanter with shampoo and told her it was magic potion. lol Never had the problem again!

braezmommy89
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Exactly!! Haha

Quoting splatz:

My 18 month old dd & my youngest brother did the same thing for a long time. Theirs was because of problems with their ears, usually. Now my dd doesn't mind getting her hair washed as much anymore. She loves the water too. We just make lots of "whee" noises when we dump the water on her head. And she is so busy giggling that she doesn't mind it at all. If we don't make the noises she screams bloody murder. I don't get it. But... hey, whatever works works, right? lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvlivelaugh
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM
My three year old is the same way and none of the tricks work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

You might try those shower caps that are already saturated with a no-rinse cleaning solution.  You warm them in the microwave for a few seconds, then place it on her head and rub gently.  I rinse and dry the caps afterward--they make great shower caps, or use them when you're doing house/yard work.

Caitlinsmom09
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM
My dd is the same way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twix.Leigh
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM

My son is the same way. He LOVES the water, loves swimming, loves dunking himself, but as soon as you start washing his hair he FREAKS! I just don't know what to do about it anymore, my SO usually washes it now, since trying to wrestle with an angry toddler just isn't happening with my giant pregnant belly in the way. It really sucks, cause I feel like we are traumatizing him, and making him hate it in the future, but he needs it done.. sorry, wish I had an answer..

nursemc
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Same here. I don't even pour the water on her hair I get a washcloth really wet and sort of wipe the soap out. she still screams.

jellybeans5
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

All my kids were like that at that age, that's why I had to invent creepy crawly tickle spider. It worked for 4 of them ( 1 almost  nothing worked, but I figured 4 out of 5 isn't bad, lol)

I cut back to washing hair once a week and when I did I distracted them with tickle spider. He crawls and giggles all over you and loves to play and crawl around your head. In fact, your hair is his favorite hiding place. He loves bubbles too.

It's weird, but it worked, lol

3brown1blue
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM
My DD is the same way...the only way I can get it done is dump a few cups of water on her hair to get all the soap out and then I would say "Got you!!!" ... works better if she's sitting ... she doesn't cry, she just wipes her face free of water and continues playing ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimber2465
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

my grandson ( he is three now) last year would scream bloody murder when getting a bath-when the year before it was not big deal. then came spring- til now- loves to get in the bath- but hates having his hair wash- thankfully it is very short and doesn't take long. we are hoping he will outgrow it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)