Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Gestational Diabetes Scare

Today I spent four hours at a bloodwork lab with my partner and toddler.  The results from my glucose screening had come back elevated, so I had to go do the 3-hr glucose tolerance test to find out if I have gestational diabetes. 

During my last pregnancy I passed the screening with flying colors – but everything about this second pregnancy has been different, so I’m not surprised that we are adding this to the list.  No matter what the final outcome of the diagnostic test, the fact that my screening came back high signals to me that my body is struggling to process simple carbs more than usual.  So, diabetes or not, I’m going to be much more mindful of what I’m eating.  

Generally, I think I eat pretty well - I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies in a rainbow of colors and incorporate lean protein and healthy fats into my diet.  I struggle with what I consume on top of that healthy diet.  I have a sweet tooth and don't always practice proper portion control.  I wait until I'm hungry - sometimes famished - to eat.  There are certainly some things I could be doing better.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist (and if I do have gestational diabetes I will consult with both to have a more structured diet plan), but until the results come back here are the goals I've outlined for myself.  Hopefully, in a few days I will get a call that I passed the test and can just focus on these loose goals to guide me through this pregnancy and beyond. 

• Eat small meals frequently throughout the day.  I tend to wait until my tummy is growling to eat, and that leads to overeating.  Spreading out my meals with not only help stabilize my blood sugar, but will also make sure my portions stay sensible.
  • Cut out the refined sugar.  I love sugar.  I eat it every day and I'm not great at moderation when it comes to sweets.  I need to stop thinking of sugar as an everyday food and either cut it out completely or make sure it is only an occasional treat.  I'll also cut back on white breads/pastas and fruit juices.
  • Stay active.  I'm usually a big walker - but the third trimester sluggishness has kept me home more days than usual.  Of course, when I do push myself to get out the door despite feeling fatigued, I end up feeling energized and happy.  I need to remember that and make walking a priority every day.

These three simple things paired with my underlying healthy diet will hopefully help me manage what is (fingers crossed) just a touch of insulin resistance.  What I find interesting is that I already follow these rules when it comes to my toddler's diet.  I just have to eat more like I feed him.  Funny how we sometimes take better care of our kids than we do of ourselves. 

Did you ever have gestational diabetes or suspect that you might?  How did you manage it?  

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
starreyedcutie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM
No I never had to worry about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I didn't, but a few of my friends have had it. It can mean a big baby and an early dilvery.
ARmom
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I had to go for the 3 hour screening with my 1st child. Fortunately it came back negative for gestational diabetes, but it was a bit scary.

My other pregnancies were uneventful and I only had to do the first test.

ARmom
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Same here!  One of those things that haunts you till the day you deliver. :)

Quoting itsblissmas:

I never had it. I used to wonder if I would but it never did happen!

gacgbaker
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting millerbunch:

i had G.D my last two pregnancies.. it wasn't all that bad.. you eat 3 times a day with 2 snacks.. and always make sure you paired your carb with a protein.. and walk, walk, walk!  i also took glyburide to help stable my sugars.. 

That's how I felt about it too- wasn't that bad- I was all diet controlled, but I think sometimes it sounds way scarier then it really is.  

KristinRox
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I never did have gestational diabetes thankfully. My friend had GD with 3 out of 4 pregnancies. I always felt so bad for her when she had to give herself those needles. 

KristinRox
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

When my last baby came out weighing 10lbs they kept going back to check my blood tests to make sure that I wasnt actually diabetic. I wasnt even close, but had a big baby anyway. My friend also ended up with bigger babies because of the GD. 

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I didn't, but a few of my friends have had it. It can mean a big baby and an early dilvery.

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

During my first pregnancy I took on that mind set.. BIG HUGE COLLASOL MISTAKE! 

Quoting dusky_rose:

I never had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my 4 children. I was careful with what I ate though. I think that some women use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want and as much as they want, but I never bought into thinking like that.

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Awwww your poor SIL. I hope its easily controlled. 

Quoting LuLuRex:

I never had it but my SIL just found out on Friday that she has it :/

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Im usually anemic during my pregnancies too. 

Quoting Rushn311:

I was one point away from having it when I was pregnant with my daughter in 02' and didn't have it in 07' with my son. My iron count was very low, so I was anemic but just took iron supplements and I was okay.

JOIN US ON:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN