Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 3 yr old drives me crazy:/

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 21 Replies
Long story short we have three kids ages 5, 3 and 2. Oldest two are boys. My 3yr old has always been rambunctious, energeric and a little high strung but I'm beginning to wonder if his behhavior is normal.As soon as he wakes up every morn he is in my face screaming ”i want a snack!" Anytime he wants something he screams, throws a fit, etc. instead of asking for it. He hits me and his siblings, me especially if I say no about somethng. Screams at me in public if he doesnt get his way, just the other day he yelled "you're a douchebag!" at me bc we were shopping and I wouldnt take him to the toy section. Throws things constantly out of anger (sometimes causing harm to his siblings if they get hit with said object). I feel helpless as no discipline works with him. The word "No" doesnt phase him, he takes it as a challenge. My other two are well-behaved and have never been aggressive like this. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rgba
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM
where did your 3 year old learn "douchebag?"

Have you tried any gentle parenting techniques?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikiSellers0806
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Idk...my 5 yr old picks up new words all the time at school and unfortunatly brings them home:( gotta love public school. What are gentle parenting techniques?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikiSellers0806
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Kids are going to pick up bad words, just a part of life but we teach them that some words are "ugly" words and its not ok to use the "ugly" words. However my 3 yr old will continue saying them no matter how many times we correct him. Thats part of the problem, he is completely out of control despite our efforts to teach him otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think "public" school has anything to do with it. Kids pick up bad language all over.

It sounds like you have to slow teach him what is acceptable in public. I did this and it really helped alot but it takes a long time. I would bring my daughter to a store for 1 item. I would prep her, tell her exactly what we are going to do and buy, we would walk in, go to our item, go to the checkout and buy it, and leave. After a while we would go in for 2 items, days later 3 items. But now because of all the time I put in with her I can take her out of town shopping for the day without any outbursts. I'm a sahm, so I have the time to do these things. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

As for the yelling, we are still working on the Indoor Voice. She's 9. But she does not call me names and hasn't. That is unacceptable and she knows it. Not even when she was young did she disrespect me. I don't look like or come across as a soft and cuddly doormat mother so she never tried it lol.

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Where did he learn douchebag? Speak with his pedi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM
And no kids don't just pick those words up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JackelineEllis
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM
bump

NikiSellers0806
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk what thats suppose to mean "kids dont just pick those words up". Yea they do, I cannot control everything they hear 100% of the time. I dont get your snarky comment or why you needed to make it. I was asking for advice on how to handle it, I'm sorry I must have not gotten the parenting manual that you did. Get real, no parent is perfect and I don't claim to be. Thought this would be a great place to get advice not rude comments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larschick
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM
If he was my child & he continued that behavior - he would get a spanking & be sent to his room. Hitting is unacceptable, so is name calling. If it continues beyond all that then try counseling. That's what had to happen with my lil sister & she was 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN