Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

On Eating Organic Stuff

Posted by   + Show Post

One of my favorite things to do -- no joke, whatsoever, not even a little bit -- is to stroll the aisles of the supermarket. I find it very soothing, for some reason, except for when I make the mistake of going shopping on Friday at 2, or a Sunday in the winter before a Giants game. In general though, it's a genuine pleasure, and food shopping is my favorite household - related chore, by far. Most of the time, I'm doing this in a fairly rushed fashion, but I always make my way down the produce aisles with care.

When my son (my first kid) was born, I had grand plans of feeding him whipped organic vegetables nurtured with pure rainwater and nestled on a bed of grass grown from previously untouched earth, from a remote mountain in Tibet. Or something...

Obviously, what began with the best of intentions slowly evolved from pure insanity into, well, normalcy. I fed him a mix of organic things and regular stuff, and figured out, bit by bit, what worked for us. By the time my daughter was born, I'd developed a true routine and plan in terms of what I was comfortable feeding my kids, without compromising what I wanted, but at the same time not going too far off the deep end (for me).   

He's now almost six, and she's almost four, and I'm happy to say we've managed to keep that up. The biggest example of this, for me, is my walk down the produce aisle. I do buy organic apples, pears, strawberries and grapes.  Bananas, avocados, pomegranates, oranges, and pretty much anything which has a peel or a thick skin, I shrug, and take my chances.

I've heard a lot of people bring in the price factor when it comes to eating organic stuff, but I have to say that I've found fantastic, competitive pricing at my local Trader Joe's, and the bi-weekly farmstand near my office. Now that it's becoming increasingly more mainstream, I've noticed my local grocery store greatly expanding their organic offerings, without too steep of an increased price over the regular stuff. When it comes down to a matter of (literally) twenty five cents' difference between the organic baby carrots and the regular ones, I'm happy to pony up the change.

What about you? Do you make an effort to seek out organic foods for you and your kids? If so, do you try to do so exclusively, or do you strike some sort of balance?

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM
We buy organic meat, veggies, fruit and milk. So, I guess it's half and half.
Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

We don't eat organic very often.

LancesMom
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Rushn311:

We grow our own organic veggies too

Quoting lalasmama2007:

We have our wn garden, so a lot of of veggies come from there or the local farmer's markets.

We are planning on doing a garden again this yr too!

Rushn311
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

Quoting Rushn311:

We grow our own organic veggies too

Quoting lalasmama2007:

We have our wn garden, so a lot of of veggies come from there or the local farmer's markets.

We are planning on doing a garden again this yr too!

Hubby tried growing zucchini last year but it rotted. I want to try again tho. We also do tomatoes, cucumbers, and beans. I'd like to try more. :D

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

We try to

bamababe1975
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

we've always had a good balance of organic and not but try to add more now that we can afford it more - it IS pricier here, and it IS hard to say I want the organic apples if they're almost $1 more

KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM
We can't afford to buy a lot of organic things but there are some products that we buy.
amonkeymom
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Sometimes I'll seek out the organics, but find prices to be so high.  I will buy for certain items but not others.

I love strolling through Whole Foods, Sunflower Market, etc.  So much more variety and fun compared to the regular old grocery chains.

MamaMandee
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I dont make a huge effort but we do love visiting the local farms and getting produce from them! 

gacgbaker
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I really don't worry about organic much- there aren't any real guidelines to show me the benefits of it- from what I understand, you can just slap the organic label on something with minimum requirements. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN