Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Staying Healthy While Traveling

Posted by   + Show Post

I’m sitting down writing this with a half-packed suitcase next to me and a million thoughts of last-minute things to do running through my head before I get on a plane tomorrow. I travel fairly often, sometimes for work but mostly for pleasure – weekend trips here and there to visit friends I’ve moved away from or those that just live in different places.

Next to my peeptoe pumps in my suitcase, I plan to nestle a bag of mixed nuts, some almond butter, a few apples, some beef jerky, almond milk and my protein powder. Because, clearly, I am crazypants.  I’m traveling with my husband who is Celiac and other than having to avoid gluten-containing foods for medical reasons, we as a family follow a pretty clean “Paleo” way of eating. This means our food is rich in good fats and proteins, we eat no grains, and very little carbohydrates or processed ingredients. This, as you can imagine, sometimes makes travel a pain in the tookus.  But it doesn’t have to. You and your family can travel AND eat healthy Real Food.

One way obviously is to do what I did – travel with your food (well, some of it anyway). Things that might be hard to find in other places like almond milk or my grassfed whey protein, are small and easy to tote and I can always use them as a meal replacement if I can’t get healthy food at the time I need it. Also, when we travel with the kids, we tend to throw in their specialty gluten-free snacks that are impossible to find if you’re not near a large chain supermarket with a good healthfood selection.

Another thing that can help you stick to a healthy eating plan when traveling is to research the area where you’re going and map out a game plan for which restaurants you want to eat at. Most restaurants have menus online now and it makes your life a little easier to go into a place already knowing what you plan to eat. This way you’re not tempted by the other stuff on the menu or feel stuck in a place where you feel like you can’t order anything.

The other thing I do is choose one meal when away where I will be able to order whatever I want, have dessert, and a few glasses of wine (oh let’s be honest, I have those most nights!). Looking forward to the one meal where I can indulge on my trip makes keeping myself healthy and making good choices worth it the rest of the time. Plus, I don’t know about you but my digestive system tends to get all crazy when traveling and putting good fuel in will definitely help keep your systems functioning at  optimum level without what I like to call “vacation belly.”

When you travel, do you try and stick to a healthy way of eating? How to you accomplish this? Or do you just let your trips be an indulgence?

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
LuLuRex
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

We usually do a little grocery shopping once we unpack at the hotel and that helps to make healthy choices.

amonkeymom
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I try, but it's not always easy to eat healthily while traveling.  We like to try new restaurants and new foods, but I do try to make sure we eat some salads, fruits and vegetables as well. 

momkaribg
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM
We splurge for dinner but cook breakfast and lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM

When we travel we freeze water bottles for the cooler, pack it full of fruit and sandwiches. Something salty too like chips or petzels!

babyboxfish
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Indulgent meal, I like it!

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:20 AM

When I'm being 'good', I keep raw almonds in my purse . . .

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Quoting MamaMandee:

We splurge! We love trying new places & food of the area. Its part of the experience for us.

That's what we did when we went to Disney World recently . . . it was all about splurging.

jugglingJoin me in The Lounge for more conversation!
               Or come chat on The Park Bench!

Kmakksmom
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:27 AM
We splurge when we travel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:53 AM

i don't usually worry about eating healthy when we go on trips...we're on vacation so we splurge a little!

Kainalu55
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:53 AM

that's a good idea!

Quoting LancesMom:

When we travel we freeze water bottles for the cooler, pack it full of fruit and sandwiches. Something salty too like chips or petzels!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN