Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Going to college online.

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM
  • 22 Replies

I recently got a job at an animal hospital, hoping to become a vet tech. to my understanding, i cant attend online college to become a vet tech, without having one of the doctors "sponsor" me.. to sign off on every "on hands" thing i do.

I'm also interested in nursing (with humans), and criminal justice.. maybe to become something in corrections.

i know i want my associates degree, but would prefer a bachelors.

just wondering if anyone has any expierence with online classes, how to even begin my schooling, any info helps me a ton. i feel really lost.

i could go to the campus a few miles away, but there is no way i could go to school in the morning and work in the afternoon.. i dont have a babysitter. so online school is my last hope. thanks ladies!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KeheleyLayna
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

oh, and another problem is, i dont have anything that says i got my ged. my mom tried calling the learning center i went to for paper work. first she said they told her they didnt have a record of me even going there.. which i know i did.. then she tells me, they wont give her any info, because im over 18 years old. so idk what to do.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:24 AM
You call them.

as for ol classes...Im no help. Ive taken them and i hate them. you pay way more for a far inferior quality of education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

You call them yourself to get your GED info.

As for online school find one that is accredited.  Best bet is to contact local colleges and get info. from them.  A lot will have partnerships with online schools/classes.

saltyalley1227
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I go through ashford university for criminal justice & business admin. You can get up to your masters in those online. I'm a junior in undergrad now. I checked a lot of places and it's about $100-$200 less per credit hour than most places I checked. It also requires less pointless logins than other online schools friends have gone through which is nice, and it's fully accredited. I worked, had a toddler, and stayed on the Deans list over a year, so if I can do it anyone can. I'm SAH now but I didn't really find it too difficult to manage my time around school when I was working. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I have two friends doing college online. They both like it. I tried it and found I lacked the responsibility (for lack of a better word) to continue. I need the structure of a real, mortar and brick school. It does work for some though, just not me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3brown1blue
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM
This

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

I have two friends doing college online. They both like it. I tried it and found I lacked the responsibility (for lack of a better word) to continue. I need the structure of a real, mortar and brick school. It does work for some though, just not me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyLauren55
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Be VERY careful, do ALOT of research on any college you find online....not all are accredited! And some of their credits may not transfer or even count towards a degree! 

I learned this the hard way, hope you dont have to do that

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Be careful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brunett34
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Hi, I actually just graduated at Allen School Online for medical insurance billing and coding. I only have a diploma though. But, online school is the easiest way to do it when you have kids. Plus you can pick day classes or evening classes. You also get holidays off. You will have online live classes. You will be in a class with your teacher and other students. You use a headset and microphone to talk to everyone. It's actually pretty cool. They will send you all the books you need for your classes. If you have anymore questions just let me know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN