Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

April 19, 2012 is National Amaretto Day

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

April 19, 2012 is

National Amaretto Day

Amaretto is a popular Italian liqueur that is commonly added to many dishes and beverages. The almond flavoring comes from apricot kernel oil, burnt sugar, and spices. Did you know that the word "amaretto" means slightly bitter? This refers to the occasional bitter aftertaste of amaretto.

This liqueur can be served by itself, on the rocks, or added to beverages such as mixed drinks or coffee. Amaretto is also used in cooking meat, fish, and vegetables for its almond flavoring. It can even be added to desserts such as ice cream to compliment chocolate.

Though amaretto did not arrive in the United States until the 1960's, it was created during the 16th century in Italy by the Disaronno family. According to family legend, artist Bernadino Luini traveled to Saronno in northern Italy to paint. While he was there, he met a beautiful widow whom he asked to be the model for one of his paintings. She expressed her gratification towards him by presenting him with the first amaretto drink ever.

Celebrate this historical liqueur tonight by enjoying a divine glass of amaretto or try adding it to one of your recipes for some delicious almond flavoring!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Yum

snuggiewoogie
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Mmmm

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Makes me thirsty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chellenout
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Whoo hooooo alright!!!!!

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I have never had it before.

kaitybird
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM

OH I so love you Amaretto.  I always have a couple of bottles.  :)  I love Amaretto sours!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN