Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Neighbors dog attacks your child

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 438 Replies
So my 9 year old was attacked by the neighbors lab/pit bull mix luckily he was not injured to much but was very traumatic . Should I report the incident the neighbor has asked me not too but the dog keeps getting out and this could have been much worse how to handle a situation without causing a riff amongst a neighbor :(
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabearlehman
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM
41 moms liked this
Ummmm...YES. I think the safety of your child is WAY more important than some neighbor being upset. That dog could've killed him. I'm glad he wasn't hurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyLauren55
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I think you should

Tho, my brothers dog attacked my son and I didnt report it...

Looking back I wish I did

She bit him in the face, drew blood and almost needed stitches...

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM
34 moms liked this
Was it an isolated incident? Is the dog violent in general? Did your DS do something to provoke the dog? If the dog is prone to violence and your DS didn't do anything to provoke, I'd probably report it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsblissmas
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM
8 moms liked this

My thoughts exactly (see quoted part below)!

You and your child are VERY lucky. And if it happens again it could be far worse. Then you'll wish you HAD called. Your child is far more important and when someone asks you NOT to say something you have to wonder WHY?. Well *I* do anyway. I'd much prefer my neighbor be mad for ANY reason than have my child injured, or worse, because of their dog.

Quoting mamabearlehman:

Ummmm...YES. 

heyma4
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Your child was lucky this time, what happens next time?

Whether it's your younger or your older child, bad things can still happen. If you are concerned about tension between you and your neighbor, you could try issuing an ultimatum. Either the dog is put away properly, they get rid of it, or you will be notifying the authorities.

Make sure to document any injuries, time and date of the attack, and so on. If it were me, I'd report it. I won't mess around with my kids getting hurt.

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM
6 moms liked this

This.  It would really depend on the circumstances for me.

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Was it an isolated incident? Is the dog violent in general? Did your DS do something to provoke the dog? If the dog is prone to violence and your DS didn't do anything to provoke, I'd probably report it.

orcadarwin
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM

If you have leash laws in your town, then the neighbor is in the wrong for not having the dog chained up.  I would report it.  

I had a dog come after me a few times.  It was a Rottwieler.  I lived in the county and not the city.  There are no leash laws in the county, so when I reported it, the officer told me that I shouldn't have been outside where the dog could come after me.  Whatever, I was getting the mail, and this dog just comes after me.  I didn't even look across the street at them, he just came running.  So, basically I was told that it was my fault for being outside.  I guess they thought I should be a hermit.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Yes you should report it.

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I would report it! No doubt about it....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)