Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Neighbors dog attacks your child

Posted by   + Show Post
So my 9 year old was attacked by the neighbors lab/pit bull mix luckily he was not injured to much but was very traumatic . Should I report the incident the neighbor has asked me not too but the dog keeps getting out and this could have been much worse how to handle a situation without causing a riff amongst a neighbor :(
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
Its.me.Sam.
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

how did the attack happen?
i would definitley get something done about the dog getting loose.  thats a danger in itself. 

mamacalifornia
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I woudl report it! Any dog including my families that attacks my child is getting turned in no matter what the breed.

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Call police, dog control and dog gets euthanized. Next child the dog attacks, he'll probably kill. What would you think about then? A riff with a neighbor or a terrible injury or death of someone else's child? Sometimes doing the rt. thing is tough. Man up to it!!!
Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I hate situations like this bc I feel so bad for both parties. I hate seeing animals or people hurt! But if they can not control the dog then I guess you really have no choice. You say your son wasn't hurt, did the dog try to bite or anything!?

Bgbluford785
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Hell yes I would report it!! That's your baby and dogs can be visious towards children. Your lucky he wasn't hurt worse. Its not your fault the owner can't keep his mean dog inside his backyard. I would be pist that they even asked you to keep it on the hush because it our jobs as parents to protect our childeren. What if dog gets out again.
keriley1
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM
5 moms liked this

I would for sure be reporting it......after I killed the dog first.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM
I would take all this into account.
If you feel like its very likely it could happen to your child or another then I would report it.

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Was it an isolated incident? Is the dog violent in general? Did your DS do something to provoke the dog? If the dog is prone to violence and your DS didn't do anything to provoke, I'd probably report it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. This is a no win situation. I might report it but I would hate for anything to happen to the dog. This is a bad, irresponsible owner situation. Sad. Glad your child wasn't hurt badly!

Quoting Pammi86:

I hate situations like this bc I feel so bad for both parties. I hate seeing animals or people hurt! But if they can not control the dog then I guess you really have no choice. You say your son wasn't hurt, did the dog try to bite or anything!?

DaisyRae
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM

In a lot of states its considered negligent to not report it and you can get into more trouble. When we first moved into the place we are at now, the neighbors dog attacked my youngest, bit her face and almost mauled her, we reported it and despite pissing off the new neighbors who had the dog removed temporarily, the outcome was a lot less stressful than if we had not reported it. 

mhaney03
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM
7 moms liked this

I shot my neighbor's dog with a pellet gun when it attacked my neice.  I told the owner the next time it was going to be a real bullet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)