Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers Behavior

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have a 2 year old and half his a lovely friendly little boy but my issues with him right now are I'm having a hard time disciplining him he doesn't listen to me or my husband hey gets a lot of temper tantrums and every time we go out he makes us look bad because of his behavior if any one can give me an advice of what i can do to help myself out and my child to behave better and to listen will really appreciated thank you guys!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jansan24
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM
We are dealing with this with our 17mo son and we are also looking for ways to redirect his behavior.
jlynnf
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM
sounds exactly like my toddler!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a toddler for you. They're testing boundaries...seeing how far they can go. They'll succeed best if given clear, consistent rules/boundaries. Redirect if possible. It's a tough age but very rewarding. Gl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
omm76002
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM

My daughter is 16 months and has been climbing things since about 10 or 11 months. She climbs the stove so we started popping him butt! It worked and she knows what the word "spanking" means. So when she does something she isn't allowed to we say were going to pop her butt and she stops whatever she was doing!

Azzura
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:49 AM
1 mom liked this
In my experience there is too much focus on discipline and too little focus on teaching. I agree with the idea that kids model what they see, they are social creatures, so while they are still figuring things out in their early childhood they are confused and don't know how to delay gratification, consistency is the best thing to do. Pack snacks/toys for outings, inevitably there will be some behaviors in public that you dislike, but responding with love and understanding will diffuse it quicker than annoyance or threats. Kids can learn patience at a younger age than most would think. If it is expected of them, they will deliver it. You want your child to be happy and they want to please you.
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the terrible twos.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

A friend of mine is having these sames issues with her step-children.  They go to their mother's house and she's just a nut so when they get back home they're a wreck and just rotten.  They have tried EVERYTHING.  So, someone suggested push ups.  When they do something wrong, they get told what they did (so they know why they're in trouble) and then they have to drop and do push ups.  Real ones.  Toes and hands...all the way and all the way down.  To start, they did 3-5.  Now that they've been doing it awhile, the amount of push ups they do is a direct correlation to what they did wrong.  Really bad offences get more push ups.  She says it's working.  They don't get yelled at, spanked, sent to their room, or put in time out any more, this is the only punishment they get.  They just have to drop where they are and do the push ups...no matter if they're home or at the store.  She says it works because they have time to think about what they did, plus their sore little muscles the next day remind them of what they did and hopefully they don't repeat the behavior.  She's had such success with it, I'm thinking about trying it with my older two.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM
It's called terrible twos for a reason. It gets better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)