Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Best Kind of Market, the Farmer's Market

Posted by   + Show Post

Oh man, I can't hide my excitement for farmer's markets. Starting next Wednesday my most favorite one in Indy starts up which means the guilt I feel for not having a garden full of my own vegetables will be dissuaded for another summer. You see, I wholly believe in growing a garden, but I stink at it. So yes, I plant a garden for practice and bragging rights for when I do actually produce an edible product, but honestly? The farmers are better at it and they sell it for much cheaper than the stress it requires me to produce produce.

My family knows that every Wednesday night is going to be 'experimental' vegetable night. I often let Addie pick a new item or two in an effort to get her excited about green stuff and instilling the importance of shopping local. My favorite is thinly sliced zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic and then spread with shredded mozzarella cheese. Seriously, try it. I don't like zucchini any other way. 

I've never been let down by a farmer's market, especially since so many of them now have fresh breads, jellies, honey and herbs (for so much less than grocery stores!) We'll know summer has truly arrived when my favorite corn vendor takes up his spot halfway down the line of pitched tents.

How do you feel about adding a weekly trip to a farmer's market to your regular shopping? 

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Wish2Be
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

We have a local farm here that we like to go to and sometimes a grocery stores prices on veggies and fruit is better than at the Farmer's Market.

There is one market around here that wants to charge insane prices for their produce, probably even more than the gorcery store ( and its not even organic )....I went there once to check it out and never again.

CafeMom Tickers
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

We have a local farm here that we like to go to and sometimes a grocery stores prices on veggies and fruit is better than at the Farmer's Market.

I've always wondered about the prices, I suppose it depends on the farmers market.

Leelee1008
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM

LOVE the farmers market. Not only is there a HUGE veriety of fruits and veggies but its CHEAP!Not to mention, alot of people dont know this, but alot of them accept food stamps. There are alot of families that recieve them, why not make the most of what you have check into it.

we have 2 no make that 3 that are within 15 minutes of us. They all sell more than just fruits and veggies and I LOVE to go.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I do agree the Farmers Market can be a bit pricey.

DNewman
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

We have this farmer down the street that is trying to branch-out and become a farmers market. I hope it works out!

DNewman
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Quoting DNewman:

We have this farmer down the street that is trying to branch-out and become a farmers market. I hope it works out!

Oops I forgot to say I'd stop daily if I could!~ LOL! 

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Quoting amy7243:

I already make an extra trip to the amish market every week :)

I'd love to go to an Amish market!  When we lived in Michigan, I had an Amish midwife . . . I went to her house for prenatal care and sometimes she fed me delicious homemade and homegrown lunches!

itsblissmas
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Right now, for me getting anywhere is difficult so adding a FM to the trip won't be happening. On a "normal" day I'm really not sure.

amonkeymom
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Love produce stands.  We don't have many where I live, but they're common in/near the smaller towns.  I love stopping for peaches, cherries, etc.

Quoting elasmimi:

We do have several little produce stands, and I will be using them frequently, especially after all the scares about different recalls of veggies for various contamination.

ARmom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I live in NJ and we have farmer's markets everywhere.  I love them.  Like you, I WANT to grow my own garden, but the animals and bugs get to my plants before I do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)