Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Sitters...How Young Is To Young?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM
  • 17 Replies
I just seen on our local news that a 11 yr old was left to sit for a 18 mo. old

They found this toddler in a dirty diaper and t-shirt in 40 degree weather. Walking along a downtown street.
M-53 at that.

What do you think?

If anyone can find and post a link..Thank you!

It was in Bad Axe, MI

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alexis.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I was baby-sitting an autistic 3-year-old who had seizures at 13. I did it For 12 hours at a time. But I was very good with him, and was very mature. It really depends on the kid. Some can handle a lot at a young age, while others aren't ready until they're in their 20s and beyond.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree. I babysat an autistic boy who was 1 or 2 when I was about 12. And I watched him 8-12to hours a day. It really just depends on maturity level. Though age should be considered some too. My 6 year old has always been very mature for his age. But that doesn't mean I leave him home alone or anything. A kid is bound to still act like one some times.

Quoting Alexis.:

I was baby-sitting an autistic 3-year-old who had seizures at 13. I did it For 12 hours at a time. But I was very good with him, and was very mature. It really depends on the kid. Some can handle a lot at a young age, while others aren't ready until they're in their 20s and beyond.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Elgert
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM
I agree. It just seems like most of us back then could do this.
I just feel bad for the 11yr old too. You know she must fee so bad about this.

Quoting Alexis.:

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
15 for me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I think it really depends on the maturity level of the person.  11 is probably too young for many kids.  But, my dh's 14 year old cousin does really well with ds.  She has been watching him now and then since she turned 13.

Alexis.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Exactly. I have a 6-year-old and I would never leave her home alone, especially not with any other younger kids. For her, she can probably stay home in short spurts around 8, and then maybe start babysitting around 10 or 11. I probably won't let her baby-sit other's kids until she's 12 or 13.

Age definitely has some weight, but maturity plays a big role in it too.

Quoting splatz:

I totally agree. I babysat an autistic boy who was 1 or 2 when I was about 12. And I watched him 8-12to hours a day. It really just depends on maturity level. Though age should be considered some too. My 6 year old has always been very mature for his age. But that doesn't mean I leave him home alone or anything. A kid is bound to still act like one some times.

Quoting Alexis.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alexis.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM
I was 13 only 8 years ago, so it wasn't that different. But I know what you're saying, it seems like 20 years ago, most kids babysat as pre-teens.

And I know, that poor girl. :(

Quoting Mrs.Elgert:

I agree. It just seems like most of us back then could do this.

I just feel bad for the 11yr old too. You know she must fee so bad about this.

Quoting Alexis.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Elgert
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM
OMG...Now they just added that a 14yr old left in a car with friends (same city), and left 4 children all under 10.
When I was young I took a CPR class when I was 10.

You just have to know the person real well. That's all.
Mrs.Elgert
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Good for you Alexis! So proud of you!

Quoting Alexis.:

acrogodess
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I was babysitting at 9. I'd watch my neighbor's 3 kids age 1,4 and 6, but they'd call frequently and my mom would come check on us every couple of hours.

I knew how to change diapers and they knew mom used me as a mother's helper for my brother.

By 11, I was watching my cousins, my brother and 2 neighbors.

By 14, I was babysitting kids for friends of the family when their nanny would go on vacation in the summers.

By 16, I was a counselor at a day camp for the summer.

I also taught catechism at 16 and 17 once a week.

By 20, I had my 1st. By 22, my 2nd.

By 24, I was running my own home child care provider business.

Now at 31, I work as the pre-k group activities director for an after school program and I still babysit on occasion for friends.

I started watching kids in the 80s. Those were different times.

My kids have helped me babysit my best friends kids, but I would not trust them to do so alone. Dd is 9 and ds is 11. They are responsible enough to come home and get started on homework and finish their chores before their dad gets home at 5, but it is one thing to watch themselves in their own environment and another to watch someone else's young children

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)