Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

paternity court? PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have been raising my daughter alone since the day she was born. Her father left me when i found out i was pregnant. I have been trying to locate him for 4 years. I moved about 4 months ago and my new city required me to let the state look for my dds father to get my food stamps that we would starve without. They found him back in feb and i have court May 4th. I am so nervous to go against him. I havent seen him since i was 15 and im 23 now. I was wondering if anybody could tell me whats gonna happen at court cuz ive never been to a paternity court. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated and thanx so much.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM

They are just going to swab the inside of the 3 of all your mouths. Then wait for the results to come back. When they come back if they are positive he will go to court and be given an amount of child support to pay.

dirby1988
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Is there a way i can take away his rights? i do not want him to see her.

jltplk25
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM
I'd contact a lawyer and ask. Some states have abandonment laws but like everything else, it varies state to state.

Quoting dirby1988:

Is there a way i can take away his rights? i do not want him to see her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I would contact a lawyer, well actually since you're on welfare - they should have a lawyer for you who works for the state. I would contact them and ask what's going to happen. They are going to try to nail him for child support and probably hospital payment. If all this does happen, they will ask what effective date you would like. I would 100% say the day she was born. Not the date that all this is taking place. They may set up some type of visitation but I wouldn't worry. He either just won't visit cause he has no interest or depending on his character, you may be able to get supervised visitation. As for the actual test, they just swap your cheek. No biggie. However if he does not fight paternity, you won't even have to do that.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I would think him taking off while you were still pregnant would show a judge what a worthless person he is. Have you talked to him? You can't personally take away his rights. The judge can order it or you can ask him to sign away his rights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dirby1988
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I havent talked to him or seen him since i was 4 weeks pregnant. Hes never tried to contact me to see my dd or had anything to do with her. He is a deadbeat. Id rather him sign his rights away but i cant make him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)