Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How You've Helped me Actually Slow Down (THANK YOU!)

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was asked to begin a series that focused on "Relaxing on the Weekends", I never ever imagined that it would cause me to .. relax on the weekends. It also made me realize that we, as a family, are pretty darn cool, diverse, and .. relaxed. Could I mention the word "relax" again? Oh, I bet I could .. if I don't RELAX.

Seriously, I was reading back through my stuff, and it kind of made me love my family that much more. Which is never a bad thing. (It is also why I blog - I have a memory made of swiss cheese and if I don't write it down? May as well have never happened.)

In Learning to Juggle and Dropping the Ball, I shared my favorite piece of wisdom with y'all: learning which balls are okay to drop. ("Catch the eggs. Drop the balls.") This is a CONSTANT way for me to think when things get crazy; whenever something falls through the cracks, I take a minute and a deep breath to consider Ball or egg?

My husband was plain ole tickled about Family-Friendly and Low-Cost? YES PLEASE, because we still have our children pretty heavily involved in the theatre. Bryan just recently helped a local high school with their production of To Kill a Mockingbird and yet again, we were reminded how crucial the life skills are that theatre provides.

I was honestly surprised by the reaction to Conquering the Mommy Guilt & Losing the Stuff; I was amazed at how I was in the minority when it comes to Mommy Guilt. That made me ecstatic! I know that I'm often crippled by the guilt that I should be focusing on the kids, but I have to imagine that NOT having that guilt would probably make me a better mom. Probably.

I kind of have an update to Enjoy the Weekend by Nailing Down the Weeknights, because I recently subscribed to a weekly meal-plan service. I still employ the weekly shopping trip and the menu postsing (mostly because I hate the dreaded "What's for dinner?" question), but it has made my life SO MUCH EASIER.

Y'all had SO MANY GREAT IDEAS for Cabin Fever and the Little Ones! While I hope to not have to use any of them for a looooooooong while ::feverishly knocks on any and all wood within reach::, I loved reading how you keep your kids happy and content while everyone has The Crud.

Guess what? Since I wrote Let's Get Physical, my family has ASKED to sign up for more 5K races! I am beyond stoked about this. We can't wait to all train together now that the weather is warmer. (And I mean warmer - we hit 85 degrees yesterday! IN APRIL!)

Growing Into a Big Boy Room Over the Course of a Weekend helped me realize that we are not going to kill eachother over the installation of bamboo flooring.  It seems like a lot of y'all have done this and NOT gone homicidal on your significant other, so the odds are in our favor! (.. we still have not installed said flooring.)

Oh, man. Y'all are ALL feeling my pain on Capturing the Elusive Date Night. None of us have enough time without children attached to us! And we all need it! I think this is a crisis on par with the national debt. Seriously. (.. okay, not seriously.) But admittedly, there are times (LIKE RIGHT NOW) that it certainly FEELS that important.

All in all, I want to thank everyone for gathering with me here. It was truly fun! And I hope you guys enjoy your weekends as much as we do!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Perfect! I love the beach, and then in the evening when everyone is ready for a rest, watching movies together is so nice.

Quoting slw123:

We had a great weekend here!  Sunday was a whole day of relaxation starting with the beach and ending with movies on the couch with the kids.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My weekend was exhausting. I cleaned all day Saturday, and had a big birthday party for my husband on Sunday. I thought I'd make it easier on myself if we brought the food in, but I was still tired.

KristinRox
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Im much more of a fan of a weekend where Im on the run. I usually take sunday evenings to "relax". Most of my weekends are full of family things.. which is LOVE!!! 

Im glad that you are finding your weekends more relaxing, and enjoying them more. 

KristinRox
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I cannot wait to spend my weekends relaxing on the beach. 

Quoting Bmat:

Perfect! I love the beach, and then in the evening when everyone is ready for a rest, watching movies together is so nice.

Quoting slw123:

We had a great weekend here!  Sunday was a whole day of relaxation starting with the beach and ending with movies on the couch with the kids.

JOIN US ON:

Leelee1008
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

sounds like the blog has had a positive effect on every one:) Thanks for everything :)

LancesMom
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

It's good your learning. I used to feel guilty over relaxing now I just do it! It's needed!

LancesMom
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Quoting momkaribg:

Weekends are made to relax

Yup Yup Yup!

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I was thinking the same! Thanks for sharing!

Quoting Leelee1008:

sounds like the blog has had a positive effect on every one:) Thanks for everything :)

mommythree0508
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Quoting goddess99:

So glad you're enjoying more relaxed weekends now =) I love relaxing weekends!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyboxfish
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

this!

Quoting goddess99:

So glad you're enjoying more relaxed weekends now =) I love relaxing weekends!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)