Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I work from home full-time and my husband works out of the house full-time. We get up with the kids in the morning, my husband takes our son to daycare, I take my daughter to Kindergarten, and then I sit at my little desk in our bedroom office, warm coffee in hand, dog curled at my feet. For a split second, there is a little peace and quiet and I inhale the moment. And then it's over.

I furiously type, read, edit, mark, preview, e-mail, correct, conference call, webinar, and work my tushie off until I go get our daughter at 3 pm and take her to Crossfit  with me. Then we go get her brother while my husband Crossfits. Sometimes we trade kids. Then we get home, make dinner, and finally eat as a family when he comes through the door from his workout, sweat-covered and red-faced.

But we're together. Exhausted sometimes, but together.

Even though the days are crazy and the evenings can be even moreso, having that meal together at the end of the day is something we plan our entire day and work schedules around. Especially having kids with food intolerances and a husband with Celiac disease, instilling healthy eating habits in our children is something we take very seriously, including the family aspect.

For us, even though one of us works from home, my job is no less significant than the spouse who works outside of the home or any parent who chooses to stay home and not work. You can not differentiate which is harder than which because the second you start throwing stones, you better move out of your glass house. Newsflash: parenting is hard, yo. Period.

So yes, it is hard for some people to eat healthy or make changes, especially for parents of young children, but you can get them involved. It is hard to get off the couch at the end of the day for a workout, or get out of bed for one before your kids wake up, because they see how you treat your body and will emulate you but staying active is vital to your health and your child's. It is hard to travel and eat healthy, but it can be done.

You can make a difference in raising a healthy, active child, even if you were like me and spent your entire childhood into early adulthood morbidly obese. Sometimes, the desperation at not wanting my daughter to have the unhealthy habits and life I did is what keeps me pushing day in and day out. Because, if nothing else we do in this life is worth it, they are.

Have you made any healthy changes in the right direction and noticed the ripple effect in your kids?

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
NearSeattleMom
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM

It's a lot easier when the kids are little . . . I see that now that my kids are 19, 19, 14 and 9.  They were such picky eatersas toddlers/preschoolers but I think I made too many allowances for them.

itsblissmas
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

That's a good one!!!

Quoting gacgbaker:

When we make healthier choices at the store, the kids don't have much of a choice but to fall in line with it- they don't get food anywhere else :)

amonkeymom
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Definitely!  That ripple affect doesn't just affect our kids, but spouses, siblings, neighbors, friends, etc.  It's pretty neat to see.

LuLuRex
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I've always preferred to snack on fruits and veggies and my son is following in my footsteps. When he asks for a snack it's usually apples or grapes.

ceciliam
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Health and fitness have always been important to us, so it just comes naturally as a family.

copperswifey
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

We have been trying to make healthier food choices for us and our children.  My husband and I have both been overweight before so I know the chances of it happening to our kids are pretty good.  Even though they are skinny now I don't want them to have to deal with weight issues and get picked on by other kids and wind up with low self esteem. :)

babyboxfish
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Exactly!!

Quoting gacgbaker:

When we make healthier choices at the store, the kids don't have much of a choice but to fall in line with it- they don't get food anywhere else :)

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I agree

Quoting babyboxfish:

Exactly!!

Quoting gacgbaker:

starreyedcutie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Getting outside more....eating more fruit and veggis all has helped and getting plenty of sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Yes. I kicked caffeine and found that I felt so much better I was able to do more with my kids. Now we're working on reducing our sugar intake as a family and it's hard right now, but I know that'll be beneficial in the long run.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)