Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

digestive issues

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

I seem to be typing everything on this site twice, so hopefully this isn't a repeat q :0)

My 13 month old daughter has always struggled with her digestive tract. We went from 2 months of diarreah that created bloody rash to terrible constipation. I changed my entire diet while breastfeeding and have now cut out rice, apples, bananas and cheese from her diet and have her on 2% milk instead of whole so her system doesn't have to process so much fat (she is in the 90th %-ile for weight, no worries :0)). We put a pediatrition recommended laxative in her bottle 2x/week and still have to use suppositories. She drinks water and dilluted juice and is very active. She strains, truns red and sometimes cries out...it feels so defeating. I've always thought it was a reaction to dairy, but our pediatrition disagrees and doesn't want me cutting anything from her diet for fear that I'll CREATE an allergy. Has anyone else has this issue and overcome it?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM
I haven't. I'd follow the pedis advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sask_Mama
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM
We have had this exact same problem with Dd. Im sorry, but I dont have any advice other than keep doing what you are doing. For us, we had every digestive test ran, every allergy test, tried modifying her diet in every way and nothing worked. Finally she just started growing out of it.... by 2 years she was hardly constipated anymore.... shes now 2.5 and as long as we keep a really close eye on water consumption, she only has constipation once in a blue moon. Have you tried probiotics? Not the kind in yogurts abd stuff, but the drops from the pharmacy?

Good luck, I know how hard it is to see them hurting and not being able to stop it :(
Bgbluford785
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Awww poor baby!! I have very limited input on this one just bc my son poops a lot twice a day! Good luck I hope your baby feels better
thegardener0311
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I haven't tried the probiotics, but have seen them at the wholefoods store. I'll try them :0)

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My 9 yr old had this issue.  From about 6 months until she was 3-ish.  We tried EVERYTHING.  Changed her diet, karo syrup, suppositories, enemas, laxatives, mineral oil, everything.  All the old wives tales, all the recommendations from the dr.  Nothing worked for her.  She screamed and cried and would just lie on the floor bawling every time she had to poop.  Eventually, her system matured and she outgrew it.  She stopped having so many issues once she was potty trained.  It was like as soon as she could go on the potty she had no more poo issues.  Hopefully, your DD doesn't have the same issue.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)