Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Calling all Medical Assistants!!!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

I recently passed my AAMA certification test (yesterday) and I also got a job (yesterday). After all the excitement died down, nervousness took it's place. I'm absolutely terrified about starting. Only time I have ever drawn someone's blood or gave injections was at school with a teacher looking over my shoulder. I'm good at vital signs and even on BP I might make a little slip up. My stomach has been hurting all day and I'm actually dreading going to work. They know I just graduated school, but I'm nervous that they have more confidence in ME than I have in myself....

How was your first day on the job??

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM
I'm soon to be an rn and I feel you! Congrats btw and bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarinaVictoria
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

I'm soon to be an rn and I feel you! Congrats btw and bump!

Thanks sweetie! Yep I'll be there soon. I'm currently taking evening classes so hopefully I will have my Nursing license in a few years.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Hope everything goes ok for you.  I have not been in this field at all...but I do hope you are able to get off to a good start....hugs..

MarinaVictoria
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Thank you! :) I'm soooo excited, but I think my nerves are getting the best of me.

Quoting delanna6two:

Hope everything goes ok for you.  I have not been in this field at all...but I do hope you are able to get off to a good start....hugs..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm an ER Tech II in a hospital and it IS nervewracking to start something so new and what feel so judged, people expect a lot from their medical care providers.

BUT- they are still human and just smile and be friendly. The blood is like riding a bike and even with new challenges you'll get your legs at it real quick.

What I did was practice manual BPs on my kids a lot, just to get the feel of putting it on people and what it should look like. Once you've got the mechanics down you just have to keep the conversation up.  :)

The nerves will pass, you'll do awesome- GL!

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Since you just graduated i would think theyll be understanding. Dont be afraid to ask questiins or for help. Congrats and gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miaismine
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

My first day of my new job I was a little freaked out and text my husband all day, everytime I went to the bathroom, it was nice to know  someone was there.

Medical professionals eat thier young- we are famous for it- stay away from the hungry ones.

Ask questions- 8 years out I am still asking questions and building my knowledge base.

Don't show fear- be freindly- people always feel that you are more competent if you are freindly.

Know that you will be at ease, more confident and great at your job pretty quickly.

MarinaVictoria
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Quoting miaismine:

My first day of my new job I was a little freaked out and text my husband all day, everytime I went to the bathroom, it was nice to know  someone was there.

Medical professionals eat thier young- we are famous for it- stay away from the hungry ones.

Ask questions- 8 years out I am still asking questions and building my knowledge base.

Don't show fear- be freindly- people always feel that you are more competent if you are freindly.

Know that you will be at ease, more confident and great at your job pretty quickly.

Thanks! Yep I have my scrubs ironed. I bought a cute little notebook that can fit in my pocket, I made sure I had 2 black pens, and my purple stethoscope which I am in love with. I have more confidence now because I have no choice. I start tomorrow and there's no room for error, so I just keep giving myself a pep talk. Plus since I passed my AAMA exam, I can bring in my paper saying I passed ( I won't have my certification for another 8 weeks).

Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Congrats! I wanted to go to nursing school but by the time I was ready to enroll I found out I was pregnant and well its been on the back burner since! I just can't imagine going to school full time, working and raising an almost 1 year old!

MarinaVictoria
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Quoting Pammi86:

Congrats! I wanted to go to nursing school but by the time I was ready to enroll I found out I was pregnant and well its been on the back burner since! I just can't imagine going to school full time, working and raising an almost 1 year old!

Believe me I know. I did it. I got pregnant my first year of college so I dropped after the 2nd semester and went to a community college. I moved back home with my parents and continued to go to school full time and work part-time. I kept jumping around because I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do. Finally I STUCK with medical assisting and I'm happy I did. But I also evening classes next month so I can start on my core classes for the Nursing program.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)