Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

At what age do you stop expecting a birthday wish from your parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

And I mean in any form. Card, a visit, phone call, text, even a post on FB. Something to show that they thought of you for a second on your day. How old is too old to expect a birthday wish?

ETA:  As a lot of you know, my birthday was yesterday.  My mom wrote on my FB wall, she texted me and she called me.  She also sent me a bday card.  However, I didn't hear a peep out of my dad or step-mom.  I turned 32 yesterday.  I was just wondering if it was ridiculous of me to be a little peeved at my dad for not at least texting me.  Aubrey has already vowed to call "Bumpa" tonight after school and yell at him.  lol 

UPDATE:  Well, he called me today.  He said it wasn't that he forgot it was my birthday it was that he forgot to call.  Um...ok...  

Michele, loving wife to Justin
 Aubrey 12/22/02
Gracey 1/7/08
 Oliver 6/28/11

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Replies (51-60):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I dont expect them to stop at any point.  both of my parents are in their fifties and they both still get calls from their parents and cards, on their birthdays.

Mommyof2n0308
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Nothing. I Git a text last year from mom that said happy birthday Britnee. But I'm not Britnee, Britnee is my SIL. That's all I got!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM
mom always did...but since she died my kids do. my dad doesnt call or send a card or even an email. i will always wish my kids a happy birthday and get them a gift!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lvmy3lilones
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Never
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gmaof11
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:29 AM

It's quite possible your Dad forgot and was too embarassed to admit it.  You have to remember your parents are not spring chickens anymore.  My mom forgets mine and my siblings every year.  At first she forgot the oldest's.  The older she gets, the worse her memory becomes.  We joke and tell her her forgetter is getting better.  We call her and remind her when one of us is having a birthday. 

With some Dad's it's different.  It seems they always relied on mom to remember that stuff.  My parents divorced, and Dad never did remember birthdays. Didn't mean he didn't love us.  He just didn't keep up with all the birthdays.  0 Not a big deal after awhile one gets use to it. 

elly25
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I didn't hear so much as a "go to hell" from my mother for five years. As is though. I'm happy with whatever I get. Doesn't matter if they call me or send me anything. I never have a good brithday though. It never fails that something, if not everything, will go wrong on that day. Always does. Every single year. So I try to act like it's another day out of the year. Nothing specail.

AJMRmom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM

My dad has NEVER contacted me or wished me a happy birthday other than the couple years I actually lived with him. He's a JERK. HE only gets gifts for the kids/grandkids that lives in HIS town and openly says that's the only way he will!! (Controlling much?).

greenmachine47
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I don't think your ever too old.

JMama22
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM
My parents always call or text at the time I was born, 12 noon and I still get gifts from them :) my parents, grandma and hubby have to call/text on my birthday or I'm beyond livid!!! Lol Everyone else I'll be upset but would I will have get over it lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thecoffeefairy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:01 PM
My mom never remembers my birthday but she expects a gift for hers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)