Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Her Day's So Long and Busy, She Doesn't Even See Her Daughter!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM
  • 129 Replies

Monica, one of the actors in Mamma Mia on Broadway, is super busy on Saturdays. She wakes up at 6:30 (after having only first gone to bed at 1am!) and teaches two dance classes AND is on stage in two performances of the show before her day finally ends close to midnight.

Because she wakes up so early and gets home so late, she doesn't even get to see her daughter on those days - but that once-a-week sacrifice is worth it, she says, because she loves teaching dance and is grateful to have the opportunity to do so.

Do you ever have days where you don't see your kids at all because of work or other commitments? How does it feel when that happens?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hesmynavyman
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM
5 moms liked this

I think that's sad! Make time for your kids and put them first! Even if it's an hour to tell them you love them and appreciate them! That quality time means a lot. 

Hesmynavyman
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Kids don't understand what it really means to be gone and too busy for THEM. 

Cafe Amanda
by Head Admin on May. 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM
15 moms liked this

If you watch the other video that features Monica, you'll see she's actually with her daughter a lot during the rest of the week - it's just on Saturdays when she teaches the classes and has two performances that she's gone all day. And from the looks of it, the little girl gets quality time with her dad that day. :)

Quoting Hesmynavyman:

I think that's sad! Make time for your kids and put them first! Even if it's an hour to tell them you love them and appreciate them! That quality time means a lot. 

Hesmynavyman
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

That's good :) I didn't watch the video but it's the parents that forget their children and then they leave them with the nannys., But Yes father and daughter time means a lot! <3 simple smile

Cafe Amanda
by Head Admin on May. 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I can relate to this though. When my first son was born, I was working in NYC and commuting from our home in New Jersey. Which bascially amounted to 12+ hours out of the house every day. After I came back from maternity leave, I was able to arrange an "unofficial" telecommuting schedule where I was only in the office three days a week - but on those three days, I was lucky if I got to see my son for 30 minutes at either end of my commute. He'd often be asleep by the time I got home. My (now ex) husband would pick him up from daycare at 5:30, so they had time together in the evenings before I got home.

I was lucky to get a job much closer to home when he was 9 months old, since there was no way I was going to be able to keep that commute up if I ever wanted to see him.

Apollos82
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't have any children in my house yet--I'm pregnant with my first and my sweet step son lives with his biomom in a diffrent city. BUT, when we do have our kids around, I'm hoping this won't happen....*I* would miss them too much! lol 

jewels5525
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM
13 moms liked this

What about parents that don't have the option.  If i don't work than my children don't eat.  During my busy season at work, i often go 3 days a week without seeing them.  But without doing so, we wouldn't be able to pay rent, buy food, put clothes on their backs.  I do put my girls first, but sometimes doing so means sacrificing time with them in order to make sure their needs are meet.

Quoting Hesmynavyman:

L1558
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM
9 moms liked this

I get this. I worked 2 jobs and went to school to finish my degree (and get better jobs) as a SINGLE mom. It was tough; any mom saying you should feel guilty and put your kid first...that's what you're TRYING to do when you're working so hard! 

I have come home before so exhausted we literally ate dinner and got ready for bed...quite a few nights during my years as a single mom, especially if there were any school events or late meetings or early commutes. How did I feel? Tired. Sometimes guilty. But it didn't last forever.  I make sure to set aside special times to be alone with my daughter so we can share or just let our hair down.

StevensCare4u
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I dont but my DH does. The kids dont think anything of it. They know that daddy has to work to take care of us. THey know that in order for them to be able to have nice things and do sports & such that he has to work all the time. But on the other days he always (unless something comes us) makes it for dinner.

Hesmynavyman
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I understand it takes 2 incomes these days to make a living, and that if you are a single parent then the work is on to you. I think trying to get family support and friends who can also contribute is always very helpful. But as for those of you who don't get lots of time. Any time as possible is better then none.  Just remmember when you do get that time spend it with the kids. bunch of rosesholding balloonshugginghugskisslesbiansboy kissing momgroup hug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)