Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Her Day's So Long and Busy, She Doesn't Even See Her Daughter!

Posted by   + Show Post

Monica, one of the actors in Mamma Mia on Broadway, is super busy on Saturdays. She wakes up at 6:30 (after having only first gone to bed at 1am!) and teaches two dance classes AND is on stage in two performances of the show before her day finally ends close to midnight.

Because she wakes up so early and gets home so late, she doesn't even get to see her daughter on those days - but that once-a-week sacrifice is worth it, she says, because she loves teaching dance and is grateful to have the opportunity to do so.

Do you ever have days where you don't see your kids at all because of work or other commitments? How does it feel when that happens?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Replies (101-110):
trz031407
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I felt like this when I worked full time & so did DF. DS was in daycare from 7:45am-5:30pm & we barely had time to hang out between dinner, & bedtime routine. & I worked Saturdays so Sunday was the only "family" time we truly got!

Now I love being home & working only the weekends. We each get our special time with our kids in & I'm able to take him to do things he enjoys (park, library, mall, grandmas, etc)

My daughter is almost 11 months & I only get three 1 on 1 hours a day with her while big brother is in VPK.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevilInPigtails
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:43 AM
That is why I quite a good job because being gone a minimum of 12 hours a day with new born.
greenmachine47
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM

i work from home so my daughter has my attention all the time when she's awake and I'm not on the phones. My daughter's happiness and security is more important than money.

incognito116
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. So many damn marytr mommies in this post.

Quoting xoxoDanicaxoxo:

Wow, it's only once a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvLili131
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I do get time with my DD but i don't think it is enough and i am having a terrible time dealing with it. B/c my DD was in the hospital for the first 33 days of her life having surgery, i didn't take a real maternity leave. I worked until the day i gave birth and came back to the office for a couple hours a day after 2 weeks. I took off another 2 weeks once she was able to come home to stay with her. I regret every bit of it. i wish i would have stayed home more with her once she came home. DF is a SAHD.  and it saddens me when i work from 7am-430/5pm everyday, i get home and immediately feed her and talk to her but she just stares at me. If she hears DF voice, cough or anything she is searching for him and has a huge smile on her face. I feel she doesn't know who  i  am all the way or that she doesn't care cause i am not there with her like he is. I couldn't imagine not seeing her for a whole day, even with the way i feel about the situation. I still spend all the time i can with her and talk to her and play with her the whole time she is awake once i get home but she will go to sleep about 6pm and wake back up about 8pm for her feeding and sleep the rest of the night. The weekends are the only  time i feel important to her. But i know one day she will know me and smile at me and love me just as much as i love her! This lady doing dance is something else. I really couldn't imagine the thought of not being with my DD a whole day!

Aves
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I don't feel sorry for neither the daughter or mom. I know many families, some single moms --- that need  to work ABROAD to get better salaries so they can send their kids to better schools and save money for hard times.  These people don't get to see their kids for MONTHS  and some, FOR YEARS!  Do their kids feel abandoned?  Many do really understand and appreciate the sacrifices their parents make if it was properly explained to them why the parents are away. 

I'm fortunate to have a responsible partner and be able to stay home to provide the care and type of education that my kids deserve. To be able to do this, my husband has to work 2 jobs plus weekends.  In order to keep his bond with my boys, I take the boys to his workplace to bring him lunch or dinner. He also calls throughout the day to talk to them. Sometimes, I let my boys wait for him at night (after 11pm) so they can play together or just talk about their days.  He also explains to them often that he can work less but Mom will have to  go to work too. However, they both don't want me to go to work even though I tell them that I really want to work :D    

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I've always been a SAHM so it's hard to relate to. ((hugs))

jmpj8107
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

DH and I work fulltime and have a long commute, but we work hard at being present and in the moment when we are with our DD. We spend most weekends at the family farm together, too.

LovingSAHMommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I couldn't handle that. I've seen my son every day of his life. I'm a sahm, and most days, I see him 2/7. I'd be miserable if I had to go an entire day without seeing him.

Ginnymarie33
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Quoting incognito116:

They truly make me nauseous!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN