Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Her Day's So Long and Busy, She Doesn't Even See Her Daughter!

Posted by   + Show Post

Monica, one of the actors in Mamma Mia on Broadway, is super busy on Saturdays. She wakes up at 6:30 (after having only first gone to bed at 1am!) and teaches two dance classes AND is on stage in two performances of the show before her day finally ends close to midnight.

Because she wakes up so early and gets home so late, she doesn't even get to see her daughter on those days - but that once-a-week sacrifice is worth it, she says, because she loves teaching dance and is grateful to have the opportunity to do so.

Do you ever have days where you don't see your kids at all because of work or other commitments? How does it feel when that happens?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
smushy79
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Nope, I see them everyday. That is the most important part of my day. The time we do get is not that much, only like 3-4 hours a night.

L1558
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM
4 moms liked this

Yep. 

Some moms don't understand-- they like to talk about how their husbands are out working and providing for the family-- they are proud of him doing 60 hrs/wk...but a MOM? Lo and behold, she can bust her butt working 60 hrs/wk to bring home the bacon, and gets plowed, guilt-tripped, and told she's not a good mom by those same women.

What's the difference? Families need income. 

Quoting jewels5525:

What about parents that don't have the option.  If i don't work than my children don't eat.  During my busy season at work, i often go 3 days a week without seeing them.  But without doing so, we wouldn't be able to pay rent, buy food, put clothes on their backs.  I do put my girls first, but sometimes doing so means sacrificing time with them in order to make sure their needs are meet.

Quoting Hesmynavyman:

I think that's sad! Make time for your kids and put them first! Even if it's an hour to tell them you love them and appreciate them! That quality time means a lot. 

pinkdaisy8864
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see how this is any different from the deployment my husband took with the army.

He was gone a year and I don't think he was a bad parent. He joined the military to provide for his family.

This girl is doing what she loves and providing. Maybe she's with her daughter TONS all week and one day each week she doesn't see her. Without knowing her full story, I couldn't judge.

raegan1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I personally think that is kind of sad:(. But then again if it's only one day per week..okay. Anyways, my son goes with his father on Tues evenings from daycare around 6 until 8. Then it's bedtime and then Wed's for church..he doesn't get home until around 8. I hate it that I don't get to see him as often as I'd like although we do get lots of time together on the other days. I can't wait until I can stay home which will be sooner and sooner now. 

Cara5
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Its one day a week. I think that is okay.  It doesnt happen for me personally very often, if ever, but we could live with one day a week.

People wouldnt be so upset if say, dad, was too busy to see the family for one day during the week.  

angevil53
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM

if it's one day i support a working mother, if it's all week that would be a much harder sell.

yourpassion
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM
I agree.

Quoting Cara5:

Its one day a week. I think that is okay.  It doesnt happen for me personally very often, if ever, but we could live with one day a week.

People wouldnt be so upset if say, dad, was too busy to see the family for one day during the week.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nana_n_kais_mom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM

So many people today feel like seeing your children everyday is an option. Let me tell ya, when you aren't active in your childrens lives, someone else will be and you don't get control over who those influences are if you aren't there.

Mama to Briannah (11/02) Kai (11/05) Hunter (3/08) Colin (almost 3/10) Liam due June 22nd!

Cara5
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

If working from sun up to sun down one day a week lets her be with her kids the other 6 days, then how is that not being active in her childs life?   

Quoting nana_n_kais_mom:

So many people today feel like seeing your children everyday is an option. Let me tell ya, when you aren't active in your childrens lives, someone else will be and you don't get control over who those influences are if you aren't there.

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

MamaStuart
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

There are days when DH doesn't see the kids at all. :(

I's the busy season and he takes every overtime opportunity they give him saying we need the extra money if we wan to be able to  do things this summer. But what's the point of earning all that if you're never home to do anything with us anyway? :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)