Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Her Day's So Long and Busy, She Doesn't Even See Her Daughter!

Posted by   + Show Post

Monica, one of the actors in Mamma Mia on Broadway, is super busy on Saturdays. She wakes up at 6:30 (after having only first gone to bed at 1am!) and teaches two dance classes AND is on stage in two performances of the show before her day finally ends close to midnight.

Because she wakes up so early and gets home so late, she doesn't even get to see her daughter on those days - but that once-a-week sacrifice is worth it, she says, because she loves teaching dance and is grateful to have the opportunity to do so.

Do you ever have days where you don't see your kids at all because of work or other commitments? How does it feel when that happens?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Replies (121-129):
didda_40
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Being a working mother has taught me that there is precious little time to spend with you children I know its hard and feel sad that mothers have to be out in the work force .Im lucky now as I work from home and can live in my pj's if I wont this allows me so much more quality time with my familly .

Tonavwut
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM
I agree with you I only work 3 days a week but it's anywhere from 8-16 hr days. I don't see my girls those days & I feel so bad when my daughter ask if she's done something wrong because she's at my moms for 3 days straight. I let her know wish things where different but if she likes her house, school, clothes and food I have to work. Which tides her over for awhile but still breaks my heart every time.

Quoting Hesmynavyman:

Kids don't understand what it really means to be gone and too busy for THEM. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JabM
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

if it's one day, I get it, a mothers sacrifice and hey if she enjoys what she does, she souldn't feel guilty, BUT, if its an all time thing where she doesnt have time for her daughter....that's horrible. You should love your kids more than you love your work.

Jaybo
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Quoting Pammi86:

No my dd comes above all things!

And what will you do if the day comes you might find yourself on your own, having to support yourself & your DD? It's not uncommon for Moms & their children to be left in the lurch. There's many women/mother's out there who thought they had the perfect marriage, thought they were living the perfect life, only to find their DH walk out on them for whatever reason.  There's also a great many mother's out there that go through constant hell trying to collect child support from deadbeat dads/ex's as well.

Do you have any work skills? Do you try to keep up with the changing techology so you'll be able to find a decent paying job if the need ever arises? Even if your DH is the most loving family man in the world & never walks out, what would you do if your DH lost his job, & cannot find another?

Will you use your work skills & try to find a job so you can contribute to the support of your family? Are you prepared for that day if it ever happens? Look around you, how many families/fathers do you know that have lost jobs in the last few years, and have not been sucessful in finding another? I know quite a few.

It's all fine and dandy to be a doting mother who's child comes above all things, but if you're not prepared for the unexpected in life,  you could well be supporting your DD who comes above all things, on welfare.

Hesmynavyman
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I understand when a person has to work, but when that work starts to take away friendhsip from mother and duaghter it's time for some changes. Basically being gone 3 days a week is like giving your child up to your mom to raise. I think you should try to cut back on bills, and what you have to spend more quality time with your daughter. Sometimes we all have to sacrifice for our little ones. I used to work over time, but I still seen my daughter every day and on my days off  I always made up those days just to her, the park, out for ice cream, making some good memories, sometimes a drive to the beach. I know it's hard and even more so when your the only provider. But if you can at all try to cut back some hours and what you have  maybe a little less shopping it will be good. Hugs Momma, I know exactly what it's like! I hated leaving my daughter at 3 months old but I was gone for 8 hrs :( My daughter and I are just now starting to be more close. I left at 9 am 5 pm get home, sometimes I would work at 11 am -9 pm :( M-F so I missed out on so much time, I would get 3 hrs in the morning with her, and 4-5 hrs at night with her but  at 9 it's bed time soo :( I would get 4-5 hrs a day with her was all. Not as much time as I wanted but better then not at all. 

JeniNicole83
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I moved my mom in with me so she could be at home with him while I work. If my part time job would pick up more hours I would cut my hours at my full-time job. I really enjoy both. I work at a library part time and a hotel full time. I love the employee discounts I get at the hotel.

Jennifer

Quoting angevil53:

i'm really sorry, that sucks. i hope you have someone that you can trust with your child.

Imsoinlove
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I am a stay at home mommy, so I am with my girls all the time, except for the times when they stay with my mom for hubby and I to run errands. The longest I have ever been away from my oldest is a night because she would spend fridays at my mom's and come home saturday and the longest i have ever been away from my youngest is like 8 hours my oldest is 4 and my youngest is 1

LovelyLauren55
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Its only once a week, I don't see the big deal
I don't see my kids for two days every other weekend bc they are with daddy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ESER
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

It would be hard for me at first. But if she wouldn't be seeing her daughter anyway because the girl sees her dad that day then why not do something constructive. At least she isn't throwing her time away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)