Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Discipline??

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM
  • 32 Replies
I am a 23 year old first time mom with a 13 month old dd, I have NO idea what to do about her not listening! I know she understands, she's very smart, but it's as if she just has this "I don't care attitude". I know she's just getting into toddlerhood but I refuse to raise a "hellian". I want her to listen to & respect her elders. Is it impossible to teach her what's right & what's wrong? Anyone have any opinions on spanking at this age? I don't mean anything major & I definitely do not want to spank her but she TRIES me!! & she knows what she's doing when she does it. I guess I just need another moms opinion & what worked for you? Desperate at this point!
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shari55
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am old school, and believe a swat when necessary is okay. Your little one is starting to test her boundaries which is very normal. Redirect her when she is somewhere that you don't want her, and yes you will have to do this many times till she gets it (it doesn't matter how smart, you will have to do this). Also to teach her manners etc. when you want her to do some say please and then thank you, children mirror what we say and do.

Shari, wife to bestfriend John (4/88), mom to Heather(1/77),Nyssa(4/89),Michaela (8/94) and four fur babies (cats)

samurai_chica
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM
3 moms liked this

sheesh...she is only 13 months. What did you expect?

I don't believe in spanking. Study after study after study has proven that it only has a negative effect & it does not actually do anything to solve the problem.

Stay calm most of all. If you get upset she will learn how to get upset from you.

What is she doing that is upsetting you so much? FYI - she is still a baby...

maryjxo1988
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Quoting samurai_chica:

I don't believe in spanking. Study after study after study has proven that it only has a negative effect & it does not actually do anything to solve the problem.

Stay calm most of all. If you get upset she will learn how to get upset from you.

Um yeah, I know she is still a baby! I come on here to ask advice, I didn't say I was spanking my child. Please keep your opinions to yourself if you're not being helpful only judgemental. Thanks & have a blessed one.
OliviasMommy611
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree

Quoting samurai_chica:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samurai_chica
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM

What is she doing that is upsetting you? Maybe if you're a bit more specific, you'll get more replies.

I haven't made any judgements yet.

maryjxo1988
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Quoting Shari55:

I am old school, and believe a swat when necessary is okay. Your little one is starting to test her boundaries which is very normal. Redirect her when she is somewhere that you don't want her, and yes you will have to do this many times till she gets it (it doesn't matter how smart, you will have to do this). Also to teach her manners etc. when you want her to do some say please and then thank you, children mirror what we say and do.

Testing boundaries is definitely what she is doing lol. Tell her not to pick that up & she touches it & looks back giving me an evil grin. It's SO cute but SO frustrating at the same time. Her father does swat her bottom when she doesn't listen to him, we get into it EVERYTIME because he doesn't realize he has the strength of a gorilla! But he has respected my wishes & only light pops to the diaper (I can't control what he does but at least he respects my opinion). She does say thank you when we give her things :) I have to get the "your welcome" part down but working on please & yes ma'am-no ma'am & yes sir-no sir. I'm patient, VERY patient, I get told I am a lot but I AM a first time mom & need all of the advice I can get. I survived infanthood, this is a whole new ball game lol. I feel like I fail at EVERYTHING with her :(
maryjxo1988
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Good :)
Javamama619
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Redirect her and u can start short time outs I do it with my 18m I put him in the pin for like a minute then bring him back out and when something is no it is a no thats it but lots of redirecting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjxo1988
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Quoting samurai_chica:

What is she doing that is upsetting you? Maybe if you're a bit more specific, you'll get more replies.

I haven't made any judgements yet.

No judgements should be made regardless, I'm a mom who needs advice. I respect your opinion but it felt as if you had a catty attitude about it. I don't spank her, I don't even like spanking. I don't get very much help from my "friends" who have already been through it but their kids seem to listen & I have no idea how they have such cool, calm, collective toddlers & mine runs buck wild! She NEVER takes a break unless she is napping, I'm exhausted & I get tired of the only thing she hears from me besides "I love you" is "No ma'am", "Stop that". She's 13 months, I UNDERSTAND she is still a baby, but how do I just get her to hear me?
maryjxo1988
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Quoting Javamama619:

Redirect her and u can start short time outs I do it with my 18m I put him in the pin for like a minute then bring him back out and when something is no it is a no thats it but lots of redirecting

She SCREAMS if she gets put in her pin. I can't stand to hear her crying, she's my baby lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN