Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
I am a 23 year old first time mom with a 13 month old dd, I have NO idea what to do about her not listening! I know she understands, she's very smart, but it's as if she just has this "I don't care attitude". I know she's just getting into toddlerhood but I refuse to raise a "hellian". I want her to listen to & respect her elders. Is it impossible to teach her what's right & what's wrong? Anyone have any opinions on spanking at this age? I don't mean anything major & I definitely do not want to spank her but she TRIES me!! & she knows what she's doing when she does it. I guess I just need another moms opinion & what worked for you? Desperate at this point!
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Replies (31-32):
dawnya11
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I can tell you with some children spanking just does not work and its pointless b/c no matter how you may feel, they dont have good memory of what they did to upset you in the 1st place. With my daughter I make her sit on the floor and face the wall and I explain to her what it was that she did and why It's not acceptable behavior.

As you said your daughter is 13months...and its only going to get worse (terrible 2's). For right now try to redirect her attention to something else when she "tries" you...like singing a song or playing a game.

ESER
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

When my little guy tries to do something dangerous after I have already told him no, then he gets a timeout in his playpen. He screams about it sometimes, but it is a timeout he isn't supposed to like it. If he is just trying to get my attention by messing with something he knows he isn't supposed to be messing with and turns his head and gives me that cute yet evil smile then I redirect him by playing with him. All he wants is to be with me anyway and children learn very early on it is easier to do something negative to get our attention than it is to do something good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN