Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

do you agree?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM
  • 12 Replies
A six year old boy was suspended for three days for sexual harassment. He told a little girl, "im sexy and i know it."

Is this appropriate? Why or why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shari55
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I don't believe it was, because most six year old have no clue what this means. We had a similar situation where I work a five year old girl was singing "I 'm too sexy for my shirt.", to which I told her that this wasn't appropriate. A first grade boy asked what sexy meant I told him to ask his parents, and he asked his dad at the dinner table.

Shari,  not just a wife, mom, grandma, and Graduate Student, I am also a daughter of Christ and a Kindergarten teacher

keriley1
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

He shouldn't be suspended but he shouldn't be listening to that kind of music either.

TheresaC7
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Seeing as how that song is on an M&Ms commercial, I am thinking he got it from there. My 20 month old LOVES it, but we don't sing sexy and I know it. We sing I'm (her nickname) and I know it. The rest of the word are made up by us, too. Was it a bit far to be suspended? Possibly. I can say he may have known what he was saying because we had to have the sex talk with our son at 6 because another child (who had an older sibling explain things to him) told him wwhat he thought sex meant.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Maybe a conference or talk...

Beautiful31mom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Um this is the 2nd time he was warned about it. so yes, I do think it is appropriate. 

heyma4
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

No, I think he should have been put in ISS ( in school suspension) or the equivalent. I did see that someone said he was previously warned? Even at that, he's too young to understand the meaning behind that song. If he keeps doing that though, then maybe yes a suspension is in order, but to declare sexual harassment and the subsequently suspending him over lyrics to a song it's a bit much for a 6 year old. That said, maybe the parents were unresponsive. It needs to be explained to the child that it is not appropriate and why.

jac77
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM
My 7 yr old son told me one day he told another little girl she was sexy. Although, the teacher did hear & talked to him (she said nothing to me), that evoked major convo in our house. I think any kind of suspension is rediculous for this age but, I'm glad it gave me the chance to teach my son the difference between sexy and beautiful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyNyx
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

It wasn't appropriate for him to say it, but I don't think he should have been suspended for sexual harassment. That's a bit much.

toddler girlblowing bubbleslistening to tunesteen girlbaseball

There's not enough coffee in the world to gain as much energy as these 5!

sllytnkrbl
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM
My son told a girl he was sexy in first grade and had to write a letter of appology to the girl and the class for being disrespectful. I think this was appropriate, the teacher took the time to explain that what he said was not for children and also told him he should never repeat things unless he knew what they meant. I still don't know where my son heard it but I suspect it was from my brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pebbles98
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Quoting heyma4:

No, I think he should have been put in ISS ( in school suspension) or the equivalent. I did see that someone said he was previously warned? Even at that, he's too young to understand the meaning behind that song. If he keeps doing that though, then maybe yes a suspension is in order, but to declare sexual harassment and the subsequently suspending him over lyrics to a song it's a bit much for a 6 year old. That said, maybe the parents were unresponsive. It needs to be explained to the child that it is not appropriate and why.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN