Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

When do babies start breathing through their mouths?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
My baby's breathing bothers me. I check her nose all the time to make sure it's clear, but she always seems to make a ton of noise when she's breathing. She's three months old. When will she breathe through her mouth?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
katemma
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Bump
The_Doodle
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

? I thought they would if they had trouble breathing no matter how young. I remember my daughter only a month or so old breathing through her mouth because of a stuffy nose...she didn't like it, but she did it, ya know? Maybe you just have a snorer ;)

LovelyLauren55
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM
My son was born with a stuffy nose, he's 3 mths as well......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rebekah8787
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I've seen the age somewhere I'm sure babies r different but I did read it that babies can't breath through their mouth for a few months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I've heard that they have the capability to breathe through their mouths at birth, but only if their noses are plugged up. Which is why babies sneeze so much, to clear their nose. They don't electively breathe through their mouths until usually around 4-5 months, but even then they still prefer their nose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Also, the reason they can't choose to breathe through their mouths until later is because they can't control the muscle that closes off the nasal passages. But that muscle is able to perform on its own if necessary (like if they're plugged up our if you plug her nose).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

DDs 6 amd a half moths and still don't breath through her mouth even when she had a really bad cold and her nose was REALLY stuffed up she still didnt. I'm sure she's going to start soon though, I hope lol

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Article at this link on mouth breathing in babies.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/274704-mouth-breathing-in-infants/

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)