Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I'm so ashamed to be from North Carolina.

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

Ouch. It hurt to type out those words, but it is true. I'm saddened by the passing of amendment one in North Carolina. The problem for me is that amendment one was not JUST about banning gay marriage. That is simply one aspect of a larger whole that I think everyone has completely overlooked in their zeal to stomp on gay rights.

Personally, I'm all for gays getting married. I hope that in my life time gay marriage become common place. However, let's put the part about gay marriage aside for just second and talk about the other aspect of amendment one that people should be up in arms about. The amendment is so poorly worded that it states that ANY partnership is illegal if it is not a marriage between and man and a woman. Now, I want to make that clear. ANY relationship where there is a not a marriage between the couple is now illegal, according to how the amendment is written. They may not actually have intended for the amendment to be a detriment to heterosexual couples, but someone some where can and will use that to their advantage. Which means that common law marriages could be under fire, or long term relationships between HETEROSEXUALS. See why I'm pissed?

This amendment can, and probably will hurt heterosexual couples. If you have a baby with a man, you can forget about child support if he breaks up with you because you didn't marry him. You have an abusive boyfriend bugging you, well the law will not protect you as well.....because you didn't marry him. Marry him and let him beat you again, THEN the law will be on your side. That bitchy girlfriend that won't leave you alone, well you didn't marry her so unless you can prove she is stalking you, you are SOL and can't get a restraining order. I'm not kidding folks. THIS is what the people of North Carolina voted for, along with trying to destroy gay marriage. Oh, and better yet.....there have been laws in place since 2007 that prevented gays from getting married in NC. Please, I'll type that again. There were ALREADY laws that prevented gay marriage in NC.

So why make a fucking amendment and waste tax payers' time and money in promoting something that is totally unnecessary and could also drastically impact people that are NOT gay at the same time?

Okay. My venting is over. Thanks.

by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Pammi86
by Pamela on May. 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM
4 moms liked this
I wish everyone could have the same rights!
FindersKeepers
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

1967 - Interracial Marriages legalized in the US

201X - Hopeful that homosexuals will be allowed to marry in all US states.

WesternNYmom
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I don't blame you for being frustrated.  I thought this law was poorly written too. One thing that bugged me about it, and correct me if I misunderstood, but I heard that this law will also punish women who divorce their abusive husbands by taking away access to the family's medical coverage, and the courts can deny the woman spousal support even if her claim of domestic violence is proven. I also heard that this law would restrict access to healthcare for children raised by single parents.  If this is true, that is scary. 

Aleta775
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You are absolutely correct. Is that not sickening? I just don't think people were paying attention to the full scope of what the amendment includes because they were so eager about one particular aspect. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

I don't blame you for being frustrated.  I thought this law was poorly written too. One thing that bugged me about it, and correct me if I misunderstood, but I heard that this law will also punish women who divorce their abusive husbands by taking away access to the family's medical coverage, and the courts can deny the woman spousal support even if her claim of domestic violence is proven. I also heard that this law would restrict access to healthcare for children raised by single parents.  If this is true, that is scary. 

mom2gr8tgirls
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like NC is going the route of WI.  Our governor is such a fucktard, he is actually saying that single parents are the cause of child abuse.  I agree with you...that ammendment SUCKED HARD.  I just can't understand how people can say the whole "separation between church and state" and then in another breath say that "a marriage should be between a man and woman only because that's what's written in the bible."  HUH?!?!?!  STUPID.  Hopefully this will all go the same way as women voting, segregation and interracial marriage...i.e., no longer issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN