Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Happiness Makeover Day 6: Get Happier About Your Mommying

Posted by   + Show Post

We asked you what would make you happier about your "mommying" and you told us.

Patience was by far the #1 thing you wanted to improve on. Next time your patience is being tested:

• Take a deep breath
  • Don't react. Think first, then act calmly
  • If you have to (and it's safe) remove yourself from the situation for a minute to calm down

Remind yourself to:

• Look at the bigger picture: In the realm of things, your kid acting up is a temporary, minor nuisance that you'll forget about in a few hours.
  • Think about the why: It may be hard to do in the moment, but try to think about WHY your kid is acting up. Is he tired? Sick? Hungry? We're all cranky when we're tired, sick, or hungry -- and he's just a kid!
  • Remember it's not you: Kids throw tantrums -- all kids. It's not the tantrum you'll remember, it's the way you handled it (and so will your child). 
  • Nip anger in the bud: Remember that the angrier you are, the more upset your kid will become -- and they might start to think that anger and aggression are good ways to deal with things.
  • Miss them: Think about how you'll miss these days when they're all grown up! 

Some of you said you'd like to be less anxious and stressed. We gave you these instructions yesterday, and we think they're worth repeating: First, make a list of the things that are most stressful in your life. Second, for each item on your list, create a plan for making that thing less stressful. Them implement your plans. You don't have to set a timeline or kill yourself trying to get things under control, but knowing that you're making changes in order to reduce stress will make you feel better instantly. Keep track of your progress and check in each week or month to see how far you've come!

In the meantime, take a relaxed approach: Worrying excessively will make you stressed and your kids stressed, too! We all want to protect our kids from anything and everything that could ever possibly hurt them, but the reality is, that's just not possible. Have confidence in the values you're instilling in your kids and that you're raising them to be honest, kind, and confident, and trust that because of that, they'll be ok in the world. 

Start Fresh: Check out our New Year, New Mom challenge, 20 days of tips that focus on the most important parts of motherhood.

What are you most proud of when it comes to your "mommying"? Which of these tips -- or other strategies -- will you try to improve in other areas?

moms rockIf you missed yesterday's tips, click here. To sign up for The Mom Happiness Makeover, click here.

*This challenge is sponsored by CafeMom and is not associated with Dr. Aymee Coget of happinessmakeover.com.

by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Replies (51-60):
Pandapanda
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I'm proud of the level of interaction i'm able to get with my kids at such a young age.

RobynS
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Definitely a challenge to always maintain my "calm," especially since I need to set that example for DH (he is very quick to snap).

Incidentally, I read this post with a finger plugging one ear to block out some of DD's ridiculous tantrum.

MooNFaeRie30
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 5:10 AM

i am proud of the fat that i am  a good listener. i wish i had more patience for other things though.

LindaClement
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I am most proud of the fact that my children are so much 'themselves' --that I was able to step back from who they seemed to be 'becoming' to allow the process of them coming into themselves.

Whenever anyone compliments me on my kids, I am proudest to say 'they came that way.'

LadySaphira
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I have been yelling less.

momof3inTN
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I do have a bit of patience. It takes a whole lot to get me upset. Patience didn't used to be my strong suit but it's gotten a lot better over the years.

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I definitely need to nip my anger in the bud.  I've always been a very angry person and it doesn't take much to trigger it but I most certainly don't want DD to follow.  I want her to be happy go lucky.  I'm not proud of my mommying....I'm proud of the young lady my DD is becoming.  I love when I go to pick up my DD from school and the teacher tells me how DD is so well behaved. 

jenniferlee_12
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I am proud at letting him be a kid and not too overbearing.

3nhvn1onearth
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I am having a lot more patience

marisab
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My list of what stresses me

My mother in law

money issues(paying bills etc)

my husbands illness

my sons meltdowns

these things well help me redirect and remain calm thanks.

Iam most proud of the fact i kept my family together and johny is progressed enough to start kindergarten and veronica is walkin

i need to learn to not react so quickly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)