Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Happiness Makeover Day 7: Get Happier About The World

Posted by   + Show Post

Happy Mother's Day! We hope it's a great one! But first...

We all wish the world were a perfect place for our children, but the reality is, it's far from it. What better day than Mother's Day to start doing more to make the world a better place for everyone?

Here are the basics:

Charity: Giving, whether it’s money, time, or lending a helping hand, is a gift for those you’re helping, and for yourself. And teaching your kids charity is as easy as signing up for, or starting, a canned food drive at their school, volunteering together at a soup kitchen, shoveling your neighbor's walk when it snows, making a donation at Church (and encouraging your kids to donate a little something from their own piggy banks), etc.

Whatever it is you do to help others, setting an example of generosity and kindness for your kids is a gift that'll keep on giving.

Empathy: Next time you start to judge someone, imagine yourself in their shoes. We all struggle at one point or another, so let's remember not to kick someone else when they're down or be so quick to judge. 

Respect: For yourself -- and for everyone around you. No exceptions.

Tolerance: We all expect to be accepted -- warts and all -- right? Doesn't that mean we should accept all others, too? I think so.

Kindness: Don't forget that golden rule... "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (That darn rule just keeps coming up, doesn't it?!) Smile. Pay compliments when you genuinely mean them. Be polite even when the person you're speaking with could not be any ruder. Kindness really is contagious!

No judgement: This one is especially important for moms. Moms seem to pick on and judge each other A LOT. Stop the madness! At the end of the day, we're all just trying to raise our kids to be happy relatively-well adjusted adults, right? Who are we to judge someone else?

Check out the activity links from January's Family Values Challenge for more ideas on instilling good values in your kids. 

A lot of moms also mentioned specifically that they'd like to see world peace. That's a tough job, but hey, worth talking about! Let's all try to remember that spreading a message of peace starts at home. 

Do you volunteer with your kids, or otherwise help or talk about helping others in need? Which of the above tips is the most important to you and/or hardest for you to do?

Tell us in the replies -- then go celebrate at our Mother's Day party! You could win! Go now! >>

moms rockIf you missed yesterday's tips, click here. To sign up for The Mom Happiness Makeoverclick here.

*This challenge is sponsored by CafeMom and is not associated with Dr. Aymee Coget of happinessmakeover.com.

by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
MamaMandee
by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I have been teaching these to my kids since they were little!

mammapav
by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I was raise with all these values and I proud to say my Boys also do all these !!!!!happy mothers day

MommyOfOne2710
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM
I think that we, as moms, especially need to work on not being so judgemental.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOne2710
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Charity is great. My church has many events to help people in need. It would be wonderful to get involved more, but it's so difficult with an 18 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOne2710
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM
We also need to work on being kind to each other. We are all human, after all, and kindness is severely lacking in the world today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nerys-Kianna
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM

My kids are growing up with those values and one more important value is to respect each other and another.

RobynS
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I do volunteer with the kids and I can see that it's had an impact on DS (he's 7). DD still has a little ways to go, but she'll get there! :)

earthangel1967
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM

While raising our 5 kids there were many other kids from   broken homes etc we somewhat adopted as in being  a haven for them and giving them lots of lovies and taking them to our celebrations and outings etc.

Now that my 5 are grown sometime in the next year I want to look into becoming a Big Sister for the big brothers big sisters organization.

YVONNE

marisab
by on May. 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I volunter at church alot.But i know i need to work on not judging still better

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I teach my children all of the above. They are all important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN