Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Excited...and yet a little scared

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

I got approved for my first credit card today.  Yay!  I know its kind of a small thing, but having no credit has been really holding me back the last couple of years, so I'm relieved that i can finally start building some.  but I am scared at the same time that I will get sucked into the credit mentality and then end up in debt.    How do you keep from over spending if you have credit cards?

Are you young and married?         Join us in Young Married Mothers; a place to connect with other young moms, get advice or just hang around.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/116197

by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM
I use my credir card for online purchases bc if my acct were to be hacked i dont want it attached to my bank accts, so what i try to do is make the online purchase and then immediately go make an online payment to the card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Thats a good idea, i'll keep it in mind.  thanks!

Quoting lillucky8:

I use my credir card for online purchases bc if my acct were to be hacked i dont want it attached to my bank accts, so what i try to do is make the online purchase and then immediately go make an online payment to the card.

ldgforever
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM
I'm 31 and never had one either but I'd like a small one to build credit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I went through my bank.  I didnt even intend to apply when i went in, but the guy offered it to me and it looked like a good deal.  have you tried getting one with your bank?

Quoting ldgforever:

I'm 31 and never had one either but I'd like a small one to build credit.

Are you young and married?         Join us in Young Married Mothers; a place to connect with other young moms, get advice or just hang around.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/116197

aschauer
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I work for a financial intitution. Be sure that you do not spend what you cannot pay for from your checking or savings. If you must purchase something that you do not have money in checking for, make sure that you will have the money from payday by the time the bill is due. Signup for online services to see your credit card balance and stay on top of it. Keep a check register of your credit card if needed. Always pay off any balance on the card it full when it is due so you do not have to pay interest. You want them to pay you points (that is only if you get them for free with no anual fee) but do not want to pay them a dime in interest. 

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I do what other PP's have said.  I use it only when it's not necessary (I have the money to spend from somewhere else).  Then I make a payment on my card.  I got in real big trouble when I was a lot younger with credit cards, so I'm very careful now.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

That's great!  I have not had any in years....Congratulations and be careful....Here are some user tips at this link.

http://credit.about.com/od/creditcardbasics/a/dosandonts.htm

jltplk25
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM
I put mine up and am currently in the process of paying it off. So any advice from me would be pointless. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Congrats! Just set yourself a limit and stick to it.

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here. Shop til you drop was my motto lol

Quoting jltplk25:

I put mine up and am currently in the process of paying it off. So any advice from me would be pointless. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)