Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How can one teenager irk me this bad?! -__-

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, so I'll start off by saying that I happen to love my children's aunt very much.  Her mother passed away in 2008 right before I found out I was pregnant (she was 15), and her brother and I kind of took her and her 9 year old sister under our wing.  They have a pretty distant family, so she looked to me as sort of the older sister/mom figure.  Granted, I'm only about 3 1/2 years older than the girl, but still...I guess I was the one who looked after her and her younger sister the most and made sure she was taken care of and going to school.

Anyways, she's now turning 19 in a few days, graduating high school this year, and getting ready to start college (or whatever she's planning on doing).  She's getting this "I know everything" attitude, very snippy and bitchy, and had the tendency to mouth off to anyone who attempts to help her because she KNOWS just what to do.  I still see her as the younger sibling and she still comes to me for help...and yet she pretty much slaps me in the face if it's on a public site like FB or in public in front of people she knows.  -__-  I'm not responsible for her in any shape, form, or fashion...nor am I her blood-family.  Sometimes I'd like to snatch this girl up and pop her one good time, but I won't and I don't.  She's having pregnancy scares, has a HORRIBLE douche bag of a boyfriend, won't listen to anyone, and then comes squalling to me when she has an issue.  I will repeat, I love this girl to death and she is family to me (she thinks of me more as her sibling than my ex).  

How should I handle her without jumping her case?  I don't want to sound childish or bitchy, and I really hate being upset with her.  But every time she does this, it reminds me how I used to "know everything" when I was a teenager too...

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Tough love. Tell her you love her but those are the choices she made and shes the one that has to live with the consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOVEiink
by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM

That's the way I've been leaning...I'm just so afraid that being 38 weeks pregnant with my stress and hormones raging that I'm going to end up saying something horribly mean without meaning to.  I've been just trying to avoid her as much as possible with maybe a comment here and there (nothing critical...just simple things), and she's pushin' it... -__-

Quoting jltplk25:

Tough love. Tell her you love her but those are the choices she made and shes the one that has to live with the consequences.

CafeMom Tickers

OliviasMommy611
by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Agree

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Agree

Quoting jltplk25:

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I remember this....I guess it's a stage...I was very mouthy as a teen...very...and now I'm dealing with it some myself as a parent....takes patience...like I told my dd it makes a difference when you are on the parenting side...

Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I would never take from my child what my mother took from me! I was awful as a teenager.

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I agree, I would pull out the tough love too.

Quoting jltplk25:

LOVEiink
by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Haha, well it looks like the advice is unanimous!  :)  Thanks ladies.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN