Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Your Kids and Sports

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to the Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

You deserve a few minutes to yourself so we are going to
pour a virtual drink of your choice and serve up tasty treats for you.
But be sure to let us know what you would like!!

We want you to tell us about your kids and sports:

1. Are your kids involved in any sport?

2. If they are, what sport(s) are they in?

3. How well do they like the sport and do they excel in it?

4. Are they involved because they choose to be or because it's something YOU want them to do?

While you wait for your request to be filled check these posts out too!

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (51-60):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is grown but when she was younger she played softball and one regular team and one traveling team. So we were busy bee's when she was younger.

jenn31
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank You for the coffee, lol. I'm washing clothes right now cause we are on are way to the rink for a few hours. Have you seen the The P&G commercial? Get out the tissues.

Quoting Cafe Beth:

That is wonderful! I can't wait to see her in the Olympics! *big grin*

Here's another cup for you.

Quoting jenn31:

Yes

My 8 year old is an competitive figure skater

She is amazing, she pick it, not me. But yes, I do push her.

4. Are they involved because they choose to be or because it's something YOU want them to do?

Again, its her choice, she can stop anytime she wants too. But, I do tell her that cause this is a very costly sport, I do require 110% Or we will stop. We are on the ice 4x a week.

This was in March, silver medal in Basic3 level skills.

* And I did drink coffee this morning(:

JasonsMom2007
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

1. Are your kids involved in any sport?  Yes.  He played soccer last season.  He's done kung fu and he is now in tee ball

2. If they are, what sport(s) are they in? Wait, I already answered that

3. How well do they like the sport and do they excel in it? He didn't like soccer.  He liked kung fu but I can't say he excelled in it.  We took him out because it was too much with everything else going on in our lives.  He loves tee ball but he's not the best by far.  He has fun though :)

4. Are they involved because they choose to be or because it's something YOU want them to do? He chose to be involved.  Our rule is once you start if it's a team sport you must finish the season.  If it's a month by month sport you must finish the paid for month.  He doesn't want to do soccer this year and that is his chioce.

mik1of3
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.

DD was in cheer, drill and soccer in lower & middle school...has been in swim-summer league since she was 8 years old.  Started 
year round competitive swim at age 10..and now, at 15 is on her schools swim team.  (She also scuba dives, but I think that's more a hobby than a sport.) She wishes our school had a field hockey team..she loves that, too.

She loves it, and yes, she excels in it.  She lettered this year, (her freshman year) and won the silver medal for the 500 Free in our state TAPPS championships this year.  She's eyeballing the school record right now--says it's been there since 2001, says it needs to be updated! 

Swim is definitely her choice, as were drill, cheer, and soccer.  The only time I put her in something I  wanted her to do was when I put her in track...but after the first meet, I saw how miserable she was and let her quit.  I was lucky enough to realize what I'd done and fixed it quick. 

I think it's perfectly fine for a parent to insist that a child be in A sport, no matter what it is.  It a good way for kids to learn to work with others, and a good way for them to learn the importance of taking care of your body.  They are able to see just what their bodies are capable of, how strong they can be, through sports. 
With my kid, I told her if she wants to go to college, she's gonna need to pick a sport, excel at it, and go for scholarships.  Luckily for all of us, she inherited her father's talent for swim--he was a state ranked swimmer all through school. 

Cafe Beth
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I thought you might like the coffee bean ice cubes. ;o)

Quoting wonderouslife84:

ill take the strongest coffee you got back there with ice please.. and to answer the question, i would make my kids try sports, but if they didnt like it then dont make them.. 

wonderouslife84
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM

thank you hun.. im having a bad day

Cafe Beth
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Oh wow! No I had not seen that. That is a wonderful commercial. Thank you for sharing it.

figure skating

Quoting jenn31:

Thank You for the coffee, lol. I'm washing clothes right now cause we are on are way to the rink for a few hours. Have you seen the The P&G commercial? Get out the tissues.

Quoting Cafe Beth:

That is wonderful! I can't wait to see her in the Olympics! *big grin*

Here's another cup for you.

Quoting jenn31:

Yes

My 8 year old is an competitive figure skater

She is amazing, she pick it, not me. But yes, I do push her.

Again, its her choice, she can stop anytime she wants too. But, I do tell her that cause this is a very costly sport, I do require 110% Or we will stop. We are on the ice 4x a week.

This was in March, silver medal in Basic3 level skills.

* And I did drink coffee this morning(:

Cafe Beth
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM

That is really cool!! Thank you for sharing with us. :)

Quoting mik1of3:

Yes.

DD was in cheer, drill and soccer in lower & middle school...has been in swim-summer league since she was 8 years old.  Started 
year round competitive swim at age 10..and now, at 15 is on her schools swim team.  (She also scuba dives, but I think that's more a hobby than a sport.) She wishes our school had a field hockey team..she loves that, too.

She loves it, and yes, she excels in it.  She lettered this year, (her freshman year) and won the silver medal for the 500 Free in our state TAPPS championships this year.  She's eyeballing the school record right now--says it's been there since 2001, says it needs to be updated! 

Swim is definitely her choice, as were drill, cheer, and soccer.  The only time I put her in something I  wanted her to do was when I put her in track...but after the first meet, I saw how miserable she was and let her quit.  I was lucky enough to realize what I'd done and fixed it quick. 

I think it's perfectly fine for a parent to insist that a child be in A sport, no matter what it is.  It a good way for kids to learn to work with others, and a good way for them to learn the importance of taking care of your body.  They are able to see just what their bodies are capable of, how strong they can be, through sports. 
With my kid, I told her if she wants to go to college, she's gonna need to pick a sport, excel at it, and go for scholarships.  Luckily for all of us, she inherited her father's talent for swim--he was a state ranked swimmer all through school. 

Cafe Beth
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I'm sorry you're having a bad day. Does this help you smile at all?!!!!

Quoting wonderouslife84:

thank you hun.. im having a bad day

Matriarch87
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think all kids should be urged to participate in sports but not forced. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)