Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Your Kids and Sports

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to the Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

You deserve a few minutes to yourself so we are going to
pour a virtual drink of your choice and serve up tasty treats for you.
But be sure to let us know what you would like!!

We want you to tell us about your kids and sports:

1. Are your kids involved in any sport?

2. If they are, what sport(s) are they in?

3. How well do they like the sport and do they excel in it?

4. Are they involved because they choose to be or because it's something YOU want them to do?

While you wait for your request to be filled check these posts out too!

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (101-110):
laird6372
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Yes, our kids are in sports. My "bonus" daughter just did volleyball and now she's in softball. She used to play soccer but she didn't like it. She also does karate when she's with us. My DS(4) does karate, did football this winter, andjust finished basketball. My DD(3) does karate and just finished basketball, too. DD(2) isn't in anything yet but will start out in karate. She shows a lot of interest in what her siblings do, though. I am thinking of putting the kids in gymnastics or something (maybe ballet for the girls if they want), too. My husband teaches karate, so they always want to participate for that. We had a few instances of them not wanting to participate in the other sports on certain days (when they were in bad moods), but they always ended up participating when they saw their friends doing it.

We give the kids choices. If they want to do sports, great. If not, that's fine, too. They get exercise at home, so it's not like they HAVE to do it.

marinesfeeding babyteen girltoddler boytoddler girl
Proud momma of 4 kids, three of my own and one who didn't grow in my belly but has taken over my heart!

countrycat71
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Two of my kids play soccer and my boy also has been in baseball for the last few weeks. They do really like playing and have also improved a lot with soccer so I am glad they do and I also want them to so for me it is a little of all of the above. Besides I would rather them do a sport than be on the computer or watching tv all the time.
Lyatt17
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I have three children ages 22, 11, and 7.  I have never forced them to play a sport.  I have however, made them finish out a season after they started, even if they did not like it.  The oldest played baseball from 1st grade until 8th grade, at which point he did not want to try out for HS baseball.  He also did the same for basketball.   He played football from 3rd grade to 5th grade.  His grades began dropping so we pulled him from football, but not before warning him he had to work hard in school and on the field.  In HS he ran track in 9th grade and played hockey for 10th, 11th and 12th.  My 11 year old has played soccer, baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, and karate.  Out of those, he still does karate and basketball.  The other sports he has dropped.  He is in 5th grade and his school offers extra curricular activities after school so he now does track and volley ball to stay active.  My 7 year has done ballet, tap, hip hop, gymnastics and karate.  She has dropped the dance classes and is currently sticking with the karate.  She occasionally does a drop-in hip hop class.  The karate classes for both the 11 year old and 7 year old are year round.  Bottom line is I want them to be active, but I want them to enjoy what they are involved in.  That is why I allow them to try different activities, so they can find what they like.   I suggest ideas, but I do not force them into anything.  The kids like what they are doing now.  They are good at them, but I can not say they excel at them.   They simply enjoy the fun of the sport and the camaraderie. Neither of the younger two are die-hard or very competitive.  The oldest was however!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Mine are not involved in any sports other than just backyard play right now...

ReiReally
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM
No he's still too little for sports but once he's old enough to join, dh and I already decided we'd like him to take martial arts. If he ever tells me he doesn't like it anymore we'd work something out. I wouldn't want to force him to do something he doesn't want to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irishmama1007
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM

We want you to tell us about your kids and sports:

1. Are your kids involved in any sport?

Not Yet

2. If they are, what sport(s) are they in?

DS will start soccer this summer

3. How well do they like the sport and do they excel in it?

Right now he LOVES soccer and wanted to play so I signed him up for camp. I'm biased but he is pretty good with manuvering the ball with his feet.

4. Are they involved because they choose to be or because it's something YOU want them to do?

Soccer is his choosing. If his dad had his way, DS would be playing baseball this summer.

myhandsomelove
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

iced coffe please, my oldest is in sports he loves football, my other two play at home but haven't asked to join any team or program when they do regardless of what sport they want to play i will enroll them but if they dnt want to then i will notr force them, i want them to do want makes them happy and what they enjoy not what will make me happy.....

lillysnow
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM
my son almost 2 but i do want him to try as many sports and other things as he wants.

homade cherry limeade it's hot here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
popomill
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

First off, let me give you some background information on myself and my husband. When I was young I was never allowed to do any thing, I wanted to do karate (because my sister did) and join cheer-leading (by my mom said I would never make the team) track (but my mom said I wouldn't be able to wake up early enough and my mom didn't want to drive me in the morning). My husband did football and maybe a little baseball as a kid. It is very important for our son to be active, we really don't care what (at least I don't) as long as he is doing something. So my husband does BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) this is something he just started last year, but it is something he has wanted to do for years. Well, now my son is old enough we signed him up for BJJ for little kids. He loves it because he wants to be just like daddy, and he even got his first stripe last Saturday! I was very surprised because he got really sick when we first signed him up so he missed the first month and a half of the two months he's been signed up. He does love it, he is so excited on the days he does BJJ and he has gotten a lot better at things too. When he first signed up he couldn't do a summer salt, and now he can do a few with no help at all, and he is so happy when he does. When he is older he will have the option of doing other sports as well, as long as he keeps up with his BJJ because it is a good skill to have in case you need to defend your self. I don't care what sport he picks, or other activity he wants to do, as long as he is doing something.

I am a firm believer that if you do something when you are a kid you will be an active adult. Take me and my sister for example. She played the violin and did karate as a kid and when she was in high school she learned many more instruments. When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to join anything, no matter what I asked to join my parents never allowed me to join anything. When I was in high school, I never joined anything, even though I wanted to I figured I couldn't make the team because I never did anything before.

greenmachine47
by on May. 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

My dd is only 4 and no interest in sports yet. I would only let her only if she wanted to, I would never force her into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN