Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Your Kids and Sports

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to the Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

You deserve a few minutes to yourself so we are going to
pour a virtual drink of your choice and serve up tasty treats for you.
But be sure to let us know what you would like!!

We want you to tell us about your kids and sports:

1. Are your kids involved in any sport?

2. If they are, what sport(s) are they in?

3. How well do they like the sport and do they excel in it?

4. Are they involved because they choose to be or because it's something YOU want them to do?

While you wait for your request to be filled check these posts out too!

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (91-100):
larschick
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yummy!!!!!!

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Enjoy! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Quoting larschick:

I'll take a French vanilla cappachino with caramel please.

1. My ds is in sports

2. He plays soccer right now (he's only 3).

3. He seems to like it for the most part & has fun.

4.i enrolled him, & sometimes have to tell him yes we r going. But once we r there he is ready to play!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skir
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM

My DD (12) plays  several sports

she plays fall /spring soccer winter indoor

basketball winter

and starts field hockey next fall

she will play on 2 teams this coming fall for soccer on weekends and school field hockey

then basketball and indoor soccer over the winter

then 2 teams of soccer for the spring

she does nothing but play at the pool during the summer

She excels in anything she tries and wants to do it all

she even wants to run 5ks when she doesn't have a conflict

if she didn't have sports she would be bored

my 8yr old is involved in sports also

she has played soccer basketball and field hockey

she is not very motivated would rather watch TV

she is really into it at the beginning of the season then stops wanting to go

I mostly make her go because she is such a couch potato she need something to get her to exercise

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM

We want you to tell us about your kids and sports:

1. Are your kids involved in any sport?

Yes

2. If they are, what sport(s) are they in?

Gymnastics

3. How well do they like the sport and do they excel in it?

They like it. My son loves it, but isn't very good at it :( My daughter appears to be a natural and loves it. (Her teacher is already excited about her potential) 

4. Are they involved because they choose to be or because it's something YOU want them to do?

Both. I did initally force my son to try a variety of sports/activities to find the things he would enjoy. Basketball, t-ball, soccer, art, etc. Gymnastics has been the constant for my son.

My daughter loved watching her brother in gymnastics, so tried her out it in, and she's taken to it smashingly.  They do other things as well, but that is the set sport they both are partcipating in currently.

megymnast
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM
We made our older son play baseball for 5 years. He was not interested nor very good at sports. We felt it important that he understand how baseball is played to avoid embarrassment in PE in later years. We also liked that it was something hard for him that he became proficient at. He was never great, but could play well. Now he likes cross country and golf, so he's involved in something active. Our younger son breathes and sleeps baseball and is very good.
twinsforlove
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

My kids will be required to be in 1 activity. It can be football cheerleading bull riding FFA I dont care (I would love FFA or Bull Riding or hell even barrel racing) But they have to be doing something not sitting watching tv

toomanygone1130
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I don't think any child should be "forced" to play a sport/activity. Encouraged, YES ... Forced, NO.

My daughter is in ballet and she loves it. There have been a few times threw out the year were something important has come up and she just hasn't been able to make it. And she was so devastated. She loves her teacher and the other kids in her class. She really has a lot of fun! That wasn't th case when she first started though. We had to make her go for the first few weeks. But we had to pay for one months tuition up front, I told her she needed to go and at the end of the first month if she still didn't like it we would try something else. But after the first two weeks she loved it.

I think that is just part of parenting, trying to encourage your kids to try something new.

jacrawford
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I know its late but id still love a white chocolate frap with a caramel mocha drizzle :)

My 5 yr old has just rwent from rec cheer to comp cheer (just starting) she loves it & I am hoping she sticks with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mellie25
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Yes, tball, they like it okay., they are not fantastic players yet as they are shy and overwhelmed by parents and large crowd. I chose it for them. They are four and they will find the thing or things they enjoy most. I think parents should encourage kids to participate in stuff whether it be sports, music, art, dancing, etc. I have one child very musically inclined. Another who is currently on an exercise kick. Both love swimming, outdoor stuff like soccer, tball. They also love dancing, singing, etc.
Uhura
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Hot chocolate with whipped cream please!

None of my kids are involved in sports, but I won't make them do one if they don't want to. If they sign up, then yes, they have to participate, but they don't need to be forced into even picking if they want to be in a sport or not.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Knightquester
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM

They chose tennis and have been playing it a good part of a year.  If they hadn't chosen that then they could choose to do something else, doesn't has to be sports.

My children are exceedingly physically healthy and energetic.  They choose to play sports with their friends all the time.  I really am not into controlling my children but I am one of the lucky few able to provide for extra curricular activities for them, so I let them choose what interest them.  To me this allows them to figure themselves out and grow a little more then picking what I think they're good at and forcing them to stick with it, or allowing them to pick only sports.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN