Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I need your input on dogs *UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM
  • 51 Replies

UPDATE*

Thank you all for your P.O.V!  Dh and I went over everything, we want to get a Doberman, But I want a puppy not a full grown one. This way the puppy can grow with our family.

The one we went to see- was so protective over the owners little girl and I just LOVED that. But the dog scared me cause he was already attached to that family, and he didn't like my DH lol So that was a no-go. I have also been watching youtube about them and doing a ton of research. With DH working so much I would so much safer with large protective dog here with the children and I.

Thank you again for your P.O.V =)

We are looking for a family dog, One we can keep in our family for a long time. A few friends have Doberman.I have found the smaller ones mean, but the bigger ones easy going.

Well we have a chance at getting to own one, a larger one, hes 3 years old, and have been around children. We are going to look at him and let the kids play with him and see how he acts with the children before we make a choice. What your input? And what type of dog do YOU think is the best family dog?

* I know each dog is different and acts totally different then the next, I just want your personal P.O.V

by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ANSLUASI
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Personally, I would not own a dog that has a high risk for attacks. Our homeowners insurance has a list of dog breeds that are risky, and they charge more in premiums for those that own them, sinde they are more likely to be sued if there is an attack. Dobermans are on the list, so are pits, boxers and a few others. That is not to bash every dog in those breeds, I know that there are some sweethearts and some stinkers in every breed out there. But to me, numbers don't lie, and I would not get a breed that had a higher risk of hurting my kids. I would choose a breed that was bred more for companionship or herding or something passive than one that was bred for attacks, as Dobermans were.

Mel0dy
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM
3 moms liked this

You Might think i'm nuts but my Pitbull is AMAZING with children LOL he is even amazing with kittens, I sware the Kittens thought he was there mother hahah The kittens would bite and scratch him and he would run off and cry with his tail between his lags. If hes around older kids he wants to play and he gives lots and lots of kisses :) pitbulls are HUGE family dogs and just Crave to be part of the pack.

rebeccab1966
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I got our dog from a kill shelter in Virginia (saw her on PetFinder).  Bought her sight-unseen, and I was a total wreck wondering what the hell I had just done while I waited for her to be transported to our house.  She lived on the streets for 2 years, had a litter, the shelter fixed her before they sent her to me.  Long story short, she is an ANGEL.  The smartest, sweetest, most loving and loyal dog in the universe, and she is never more than a couple feet away from me.  Adores my kids (9 and 12), and my husband talks baby talk to her, which is pretty miraculous for a Tough Guy.  Anyway, I know I got totally lucky, but I swear these rescue dogs KNOW you saved them.   Just a thought.  Oh, and my neighbor has a Doberman (I'd say medium-sized, female) and she is a little shy but super sweet.  GOOD LUCK, you'll find a great dog and be so happy!

Awesome_mommy3
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Quoting ANSLUASI:

Personally, I would not own a dog that has a high risk for attacks. Our homeowners insurance has a list of dog breeds that are risky, and they charge more in premiums for those that own them, sinde they are more likely to be sued if there is an attack. Dobermans are on the list, so are pits, boxers and a few others. That is not to bash every dog in those breeds, I know that there are some sweethearts and some stinkers in every breed out there. But to me, numbers don't lie, and I would not get a breed that had a higher risk of hurting my kids. I would choose a breed that was bred more for companionship or herding or something passive than one that was bred for attacks, as Dobermans were.

Oh wow. I did not know that some homeowners insurance did that!

Awesome_mommy3
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Mel0dy:

You Might think i'm nuts but my Pitbull is AMAZING with children LOL he is even amazing with kittens, I sware the Kittens thought he was there mother hahah The kittens would bite and scratch him and he would run off and cry with his tail between his lags. If hes around older kids he wants to play and he gives lots and lots of kisses :) pitbulls are HUGE family dogs and just Crave to be part of the pack.

Actually, I do not think your nuts. LOL. We have only had GREAT experience with pit bulls. Also Rotts. Quick story. I found a female Rott in Houston, get wasnt in good shape. so I took her in, (she was full grown) and I fed her gave her a bath and she fell asleep with me on the couch. My dad is a truck driver and at the time we lived at the sand plant where all the trucks would fill up and park at the end of the night. Well my dad came in the house and that dog jumped on the table and kept my dad from getting anywhere near me. HAHA 1st time I had ever seen my dad run out of a house! But ended up keeping her and she was the best dog ever!

Awesome_mommy3
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Quoting rebeccab1966:

I got our dog from a kill shelter in Virginia (saw her on PetFinder).  Bought her sight-unseen, and I was a total wreck wondering what the hell I had just done while I waited for her to be transported to our house.  She lived on the streets for 2 years, had a litter, the shelter fixed her before they sent her to me.  Long story short, she is an ANGEL.  The smartest, sweetest, most loving and loyal dog in the universe, and she is never more than a couple feet away from me.  Adores my kids (9 and 12), and my husband talks baby talk to her, which is pretty miraculous for a Tough Guy.  Anyway, I know I got totally lucky, but I swear these rescue dogs KNOW you saved them.   Just a thought.  Oh, and my neighbor has a Doberman (I'd say medium-sized, female) and she is a little shy but super sweet.  GOOD LUCK, you'll find a great dog and be so happy!

What kind of dog was she? And this is such a great story!! I know what you mean about the "Tough Guy" deal.. My DH is a biker and says he didn't like animals, but when we find a kitten and had to bottle feed he.. My DH took to it and that was HIS kitten lol

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never get a dog like that. We have a King Charles Cavalier and is kid/family dog. I would go with a small dog or if you did get a big dog go with something like a Golden Retriever type dog. 

SuDeNym
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Awesome_mommy3:

Quoting ANSLUASI:

Oh, yeah - it wouldn't hurt to check w/ your company to see if they have a list of dogs that either they won't cover or will charge a higher premium to cover.

Once I was getting renter's insurance and was asked if I had a dog.  "I have a Pom."  A loooong pause.  The lady said, "I'm sorry, but I am required to ask this.  Is she attack trained?"  After I stopped giggling at imagining a whopping five pounds of 'snarling death', I truthfully answered, "No."

ChelleBoo23
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Pitbulls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Awesome_mommy3
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Quoting SuDeNym:

Quoting Awesome_mommy3:

Quoting ANSLUASI:

Oh, yeah - it wouldn't hurt to check w/ your company to see if they have a list of dogs that either they won't cover or will charge a higher premium to cover.

Once I was getting renter's insurance and was asked if I had a dog.  "I have a Pom."  A loooong pause.  The lady said, "I'm sorry, but I am required to ask this.  Is she attack trained?"  After I stopped giggling at imagining a whopping five pounds of 'snarling death', I truthfully answered, "No."

Thats a great ideal!

LOL!!  That's so funny to imagining!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)