Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

A 4yo afraid of a 2yo -- Need Help!!

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

I need help, the 4yo boy that I watch is afraid of my 2yo ds. Everytime ds chases him (4yo) he runs to the bathroom. I asked him just now why everytime he (ds) chases him he goes to the bathroom, his response was "I'm afraid he's going to bite me." However there are time when 4yo says "come get me" and I've explained to him in the past if you don't like him chasing you, don't tell him to come get you. Now I know that he most likely has told his parents that he's afraid of ds if he just told me.

My son has bit him in the past, but has stopped the biting (we figured out that he will only bite if he has his blanket, so we only give him his blanket at nap/bedtime).

How do I help a 4yo not be afraid of a 2yo? (Willing to answer any questions that do not involve any bashing)

by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Pammi86
by Pamela on May. 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Sorry but I have no clue!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Not sure how you would break this....seems like the 4yo may have a little fear built up from the past bites?  I don't know if you getting them together at the same time and talking with him (when it happens each time) and reassuring him he does not have to fear your son would help to gradually break it...

mamadrama15
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Maybe thinks of games or activities where chasing isn't involved. That way he's not scared about being chased or bitten. Like rolling a ball to each other or finger painting???

trublonde130
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

He refuses ANY interaction with my son, unless its snack/lunch time or driving in the car. Other then that whenever I try to get them both involved in any activity he (4yo) shys away and doesn't want to do it.

I've tried going outside (chalk, cars/bikes, bubbles), coloring, making lunch together, playing inside with cars, going to the park and he just doesn't want to be around ds. I've got to the point where I turned in my notice to stop watching him as of June 4th (because of this and other reasons - family issues). His mom told me at the other daycare he was at before I started watching him he was the biggest bully, however I don't and haven't seen that at all while I've watched him (for 11 months), I've only seen this very timid boy that wants nothing to do but lay around, whine about most everything and be a brat at the same time.

I do need to figure out what I can do until June 4th so that there is some interaction between them both and that neither feel left out of the activities.

Quoting mamadrama15:

Maybe thinks of games or activities where chasing isn't involved. That way he's not scared about being chased or bitten. Like rolling a ball to each other or finger painting???

mamadrama15
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Oh goodness from what it sounds like looks like that is going to be hard. I'd hate to recommend this but what about kid shows? Or movies? I am not saying do it all day but try to see how they both like it. 

Quoting trublonde130:

He refuses ANY interaction with my son, unless its snack/lunch time or driving in the car. Other then that whenever I try to get them both involved in any activity he (4yo) shys away and doesn't want to do it.

I've tried going outside (chalk, cars/bikes, bubbles), coloring, making lunch together, playing inside with cars, going to the park and he just doesn't want to be around ds. I've got to the point where I turned in my notice to stop watching him as of June 4th (because of this and other reasons - family issues). His mom told me at the other daycare he was at before I started watching him he was the biggest bully, however I don't and haven't seen that at all while I've watched him (for 11 months), I've only seen this very timid boy that wants nothing to do but lay around, whine about most everything and be a brat at the same time.

I do need to figure out what I can do until June 4th so that there is some interaction between them both and that neither feel left out of the activities.

Quoting mamadrama15:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)