Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Home schooling??

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hi. I'm going to be "home schooling" my 6 yr old son through the summer to make sure he retains what he's learned & to give him a jump start on next year. This is new territory to me so any advise would be great! Thank you!

teacher

by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM
mom2gr8tgirls
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I envy you...I lack the patience to teach my own children.  A friend of mine is the same way so we joke that we'll just teach each other's kids.  lol

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Good Luck!!!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I didn't home school, but I taught pediatric nursing for quite a few years. Set up a fun and bright learning spot, make it look like a classroom, and set up a routine. Structure really is important to learning. And give him frequent fun breaks, involve the outside. WRITE LESSON PLANS :-) You could you a simple calendar, or a steno notebook using concepts that he learned last year in school. Don't hesitate to call his teacher and ask his/her advice. And tie the book work to the play. My grandaughter and I write letters with sticks or dandelions, and if we go out in the rain, we mix dirt into a puddle to "cook" mudpies, and she is only 3 1/2.  Most of all, have fun and enjoy the time you spend together. As soon as it becomes "painful", end the work. Good Luck.

Boobah
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Check out the homeschooling moms group here on cm. TONS of fantastic info and super helpful ladies with lots of experience :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Bump....

jltplk25
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

We bought Landon a workbook and tear pages out for him to use. I also purchased a dry erase board that has shapes, math, writing, etc on it. I found it at Walmart for $6. It's by Mead. Good luck!

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

My only advice is the same advice I got from my dd's school principal a couple years ago. Don't do it. My dd is currently 9 and is ahh difficult. This principal was extremely involved with my dd, helping her get through the school year, helping her focus, I could go on and on anyway, she said that many studies have been done and the consensus is that kids need a break, they need time to relax and not study. The studies also showed very little is lost over summer and most teachers take the 1st week or so to review from the past year anyway, bringing all the students up to the same speed. These are the things a very dedicated principal told to me.

Of course it's up to you what you want to do with your child. Good luck.

KW1280
by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I applaud people who home school.  I always wanted to but could never afford to do it.  Then I wondered if I would be good at it.

homebirthhippie
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

You can keep it light and simple, and still do lots of learning. Perhaps you could focus less on workbooks, and do more hands on learning.  I've just started homeschooling this year, and even though we have textbooks and do some worksheets, we do a lot of hands on projects, and I'll ask my son to answer the questions orally so he doesn't have to write as much. (That way, he can focus on the task at hand, and do most of his writing during his writing curriculum) You might try a unit study, where you pick something that your child is really interested in, and you delve into that topic while practing math, language arts, science etc.  Doing drills and repetition is part of learning, so you will still want to practice easy math facts etc but the main idea is having fun over the summer while he learns through many positive experiences.  I don't think learning over the summer is taking away from their break...as long as you aren't requiring them to be seated and drilling 8 hours a day, they will still have plenty of time for the freedoms of summer.   In school a child sits most of the day, and then comes home and is expected to do a half hour to several of hours of homework, and squeeze it all in before lessons, or scouts etc... the great thing about schooling over the summer, is that you can do those few hours of "homework" stretched out throughout an entire day, and really have a positive impact on your child's educational progress, since you can tailor your teaching style to whatever method reaches them best... Check out welltrainedmind.com for more info on different curriculums. Admittedly, it is overwhelming at times because of the amount of great info to wade through, but once you do, you will be much encouraged. 

Good luck!

Lots of people on that board do afterschooling, so they might have good ideas about supplementary materials, rather than complete curriculums.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)