Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

scariest moments as a parent

Posted by   + Show Post
What is yours????

I have two....both with my oldest...

When he was around 2 months old, my ex and I attended to him crying and found him hanging by his neck between the mattress and the bar of the crib. Till this day I won't ever use a crib.

Also this past december days after christmas he was tooken to the doctor for a rash. Turned out he had itp and was shipped to childrens hospital in syracuse and admitted to the cancer floor where he had a platlet count of 5000( normal range over 400,000) if he fell would bruise or if hit head could bleed on the brain. He is healthy as can be now.
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Replies (21-30):
mrsdic
by on May. 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM

yikes.  :(  mine:  DS squirmed through someones arms and fell when he was less than a year old and fell directly on the top of his head on a tile floor.   then a few months ago he opened the front door and my 14 month old DD ran outside.  DH and I were knocking each other over practically in a panic to get out the front door to her and she was almost to the street.  people fly through our neighborhood.  

SlapItHigh
by on May. 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Probably the 2 times I had to call 911 for my kids.  1 was my oldest who had a partial complex seizure which caused him to go completely limp in my arms and eyes rolled back in his head....I thought he was dying.  Second was when my  year old jumped off the back of the couch and landed on the coffee table head first.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

My son had a high fever that was not responding to medication

FebPenguins
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Both my dd and my ds would hold their breath and pass out if hurt or very angry. I wasn't ever very scared b/c I knew about this~my brother did it and so did my mom as a child~I also knew their body would take over and they would breathe. I blow in their face or toss them in the air(can't so much now with being 7mths pregnant). Sometimes I can't get them to stop, so I watch and wait~just to make sure.

reindeergames
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The biggest one would be when my daughter was 8 days old we were rushing her to the ER she was admitted for 14 days. It was awful spinal tap, testing for menigitis, IV's, etc. 

im_not_trollin
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM

watching my daughter get hit by a car and thinking I just watched her die. That's the worst thing I have ever dealt with and it still haunts me. I see it every time I get in a car, everytime we walk through a parking lot, everytime they get on the bus in the morning and get off in afternoon and everytime I clothes my eyes.

mommytotwo2801
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM
My ds was eating mini wheats, dry. Next thing i know hes walking toward me trying to take a breath but having no luck. I freaked! Me and my mom were trying to scoop it out, bang on his back, everything we could think of. His throat was bleeding and he couldnt talk, breathe or cry. Needless to say we got it out... all i could do was cry. My children will never eat them again! With or without milk!
missheathyr
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Mine is easily with my youngest. So my lil guy woke me up early one morning by saying "mommy can I use your inhaler I can't breathe good". I got up and took him straight to urgent care. They took him in right away, put him on the pulse oximeter took his vitals, etc. The nurse kept coming back and trying different machines on him, thinking that they were broken and then got the doctor. His oxygen levels were at 67%! Now if you don't know anything about this let me tell you anything below 90% is low, anything below 75% is critical. They put him on oxygen, an IV and breathing treatments and called the ambulance then told us he had to get to the hospital right away. At this point I thought my hubby was going to pass out or just burst into tears. Anyways we spent the next 4 days in the hospital stabilizing him, he was only 6 but he was a trooper. Turns out he had asthma, just like me, and now he does breathing treatments every day and we occasionally end up back at the hospital from time to time.

The worst part of this story is that I had been telling his doctor my son had been having a persistent cough for about a month. I took him to the doctor on several occasions, I was concerned he had asthma because I have it and I know the signs. The doctor kept refusing to put him on anything assuring me he was fine and that he may have asthma but the side effects of asthma meds aren't worth the trouble.

Imsoinlove
by on May. 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Scariest moment for me was in May 2011, my oldest was 3 years old at the time. She woke up at 730 am crying for me and I thought she had been coming down with croup (She has had it many times at least 2x a year since she was 4 months old) But, then my husband and I realized it was more than just that...Her chest was retracting and she couldn't even swallow a drink of water. On the way to the hospital, her lips started turning blue and her oxygen had gone down to 79% Once we made it to the hospital they rushed her to the ICU, where they poked her arms to put an iv in and giver her different types of medications. She was admitted to Barbara Bush Children's Hospital (Portland, ME) for the night. Come to find out, she has asthma and had a pretty close to critical attack.  It was so terrifying and now she is a healthy 4 and a half year old. After being on an inhaler for a year she is doing grear and is even going to be joining soccer this year! Thank God for miracles

meagan0716
by on May. 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Today at lunch my 5yr old dd actually chocked on a chip and i got her out of tge chair and froze. I know how to do the Heimlich maneuver but i froze that was the scariest few mins I've ever been through. Thankfully this ladyctook action as soon as she seen what was going on. I am still so mad at myself right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)