Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

After Two Years as a SAHD, He's Now Daddy by Day, Mamma Mia! by Night

Posted by   + Show Post

For the first two years of his daughter Sadie's life, David was more or less a stay-at-home dad. But then Broadway came calling and his partner, Russell, decided to cut back a little at his own job to spend more time with Sadie.

Here's a look at how they make everything work, with a little background about what it was like when they adopted Sadie.

Russell says he and David made their opposite schedules work - meaning they don't need a regular nanny or baby sitter - because they felt it was their "job" to raise their daughter. If you work, did (or do) you have a child in daycare of some kind? Or were you able to work out an arrangement where you and your partner worked opposite shifts so one parents is always home with the kids?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
GomezMami2908
by on May. 31, 2012 at 1:21 AM

My husband and I have always worked opposite schedules in order to keep our children out of daycare. We feel the same way they do, it's our job to take care of our children plus we don't feel comfortable with daycares or nannies. 

tracylynnr67
by on May. 31, 2012 at 2:23 AM

When I worked I worked 3rd shift so that I could be at home with them. I slept while they were at school and it worked for us. My sons always had one of us home with them, they never went to daycare or had a sitter watching them (unless hubby and I went out for a couple of hours at night).

CampClan
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 6:47 AM

I am a single mom so I HAVE to work & have my kid sin daycare (the older 3 for at least another year & the youngest until he is in kindergarten in 2014). But when I was married we (ex H & I) decided it was costing us more for me to work than for me to stay at home. I was basically working to pay for groceries & ex was paying everything else- barely. Once we cut out the $600 every 2 week payment for the sitter for the girls we were able to make it- til he decided he wanted out of the marriage.

prettyinpink2
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm a teacher so I get to be SAHM in the summers.  But, my kids love going to daycare.  My daughter had a birthday party this year with the kids from daycare and it was like having 10 brothers and sisters the way they played and acted towards eachother.  My kids are also learning a lot from daycare.  I wouldn't change a thing.

Pammi86
by Pamela on May. 31, 2012 at 7:16 AM
How cool! Awesome dads!
RhondaVeggie
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Meanwhile, half the parents who bitch about gay couples not being allowed to marry or raise kids are letting daycare raise their kids.
disneymom2two
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:22 AM

It's great that he's able to do what works for his family.  Everyone's different.  My husband works 8 24 hour shifts a month and I'm a teacher so at least one of us is home a lot but not all the time.  Until she was 5, my daughter went to a friend of our's when both DH and I had to work the same days.  A couple weeks before she turned  5 (missed the cutoff for kindergarten by 3 weeks), she went to preschool 3 afternoons a week and a home daycare nearby who could transport her.  Now on school breaks this year (she's 6 and in K), she's gone to the home daycare for a couple of hours at the sitter's request to play with one of the girls she'd been friendly with (it's a playdate, we're not paying).  

Mom_The_Nurse
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:27 AM
3 moms liked this

I think it's a sad misconception that using a childcare provider means you don't raise your children.

rjsmommy214
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:44 AM

SO and I also have pretty opposite schedules although one day a week DS stays with my mother and 1 day a week he stays with SO's mom while we work. then in the evenings we get family time together.

stykir
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:49 AM

i only work part time-usually 3 days a week. one day i work is my husband's day off from his job. the second day my parents keep my kids all day, and the third day my husband and i work opposite shifts. he tries his best to be home before i leave, but if he can't my parents step in for about an hour. 

when i was a kid there were a few years that my mom had to have a job and they did the same, opposite shifts. 

i think it's great when parents are able to do this. it has actually made my husband step up to the plate a bit more on the days he is with the kids by himself. and the kids are happy to have some time with just daddy or our parents. i would have a very hard time sending my kids to a stranger or daycare (not that it's a bad thing for those who do it, i just wouldn't like it)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)