Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
Breast pump.....which is better electric or manual? im getting one soon but im a first time mom and sont know which is better. And any advice on the use of this or tips wuld be very appreciated. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Charliesmommy11
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Every mother will be different. You know your makeing enough when your baby is satisfied , full , and burps after a feeding. Also your baby should have 6-8 wet diapers a day and most breast fed babies have a poop diaper at every feeding.

Quoting AmberO.:

great thanks i had no idea it was that often. How much milk shuld come out when i pump?(how do i know im making enough)

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

When you go back to work if dd is still fairly young you'll be looking at pumping every 3-4 hours . If you want to pump at home so daddy can feed too you might try pumping just after breast feeding so dad can take the next feeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmberO.
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM
thats a lot of dirty diapers. I knew babys went a lot but i never knew exactly how much. Thanks for the advice this helps a lot. If theres anything else u can tell me id be grateful. I heard massaging ur breast before feeding or pumping helps. But this is really all i know.

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Every mother will be different. You know your makeing enough when your baby is satisfied , full , and burps after a feeding. Also your baby should have 6-8 wet diapers a day and most breast fed babies have a poop diaper at every feeding.

Quoting AmberO.:

great thanks i had no idea it was that often. How much milk shuld come out when i pump?(how do i know im making enough)

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

When you go back to work if dd is still fairly young you'll be looking at pumping every 3-4 hours . If you want to pump at home so daddy can feed too you might try pumping just after breast feeding so dad can take the next feeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charliesmommy11
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Your welcome ! Ask anything ! This is a great place for advice and experience these ladies are great !

Quoting AmberO.:

thats a lot of dirty diapers. I knew babys went a lot but i never knew exactly how much. Thanks for the advice this helps a lot. If theres anything else u can tell me id be grateful. I heard massaging ur breast before feeding or pumping helps. But this is really all i know.

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Quoting AmberO.:

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmberO.
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM
if i use a pump how do i warm up the extra breastmilk i have stored? Like if i leave some in the fridge or freeze it? Someone told me i shuldnt microwave it.

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Your welcome ! Ask anything ! This is a great place for advice and experience these ladies are great !

Quoting AmberO.:

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Quoting AmberO.:

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotherofDova
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AmberO.:

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

There are breastfeeding classes that range from free to 30 dollars at hospitals :] just so you know. They are SO helpful. How much you pump varies person to person. I wasn't able to get 2oz EVERY SIX HOURS until I was 2 weeks pp. Before that it was 1oz total with switching between the left and right breast during a time span of 4 hours. By three weeks I had 4oz ready to go with in 3 hours. Then I found out I had developed a TON of infections and would have ...gotten my baby girl very sick if i didn't stop. SO I have three weeks of breastfeeding on my belt. Very sad. I felt like a failure as a mother for such a long time throughout all of this. It isn't unheard of to not develope breatmilk quickly though so don't hate yourself. As far as going back to work goes, if you can manage not going back until you are well established with pumping and being able to make enough to freeze for the following day... I would definitely wait. Your baby will usually let you know what they want. For the first two weeks i had to supliment with formula as well as breastmilk because i learned that I was essientially starving my daughter. She lost a pound after 3 days, which is a little high. Baby will lose some but it should not be a pound in that amount of time. I was pumping then to help get it going but it was purely baby to breasts for most of the feedings. I thought she was getting enough. You should have a consultation after you deliver and are able to leave the hospital and they'll let you know everything :] You can always ask the hospital about it BUT if you guys can afford (time and money) I would take as many classes as you can. As a relatively new young (not sure your age) mommy I can tell you that it was SO comforting to have learned all my husband and I did before the birth of our daugher.

My breastpump was a medela electric something or other. It was about 80$ at babysrus. It worked really well for the time i used it!!! :] 

Charliesmommy11
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Bottle warmer will do or a cup of warm water to thaw it out. Unless your planning on using the pumped milk that same day always freeze it in the bags that come with your breast pump to avoid freezer burn . Check with your local hospital they generally have free breast feeding classes if your pre registered to birth there.

Quoting AmberO.:

if i use a pump how do i warm up the extra breastmilk i have stored? Like if i leave some in the fridge or freeze it? Someone told me i shuldnt microwave it.

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Quoting AmberO.:

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Quoting AmberO.:

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Some basic tips for you.  :)

Pumping is NOT a good indication of what you're producing.  Babies will always get more out than a pump.  You want to count wet diapers for a determination of milk production.  You should see one wet diaper for each day of life (1 on day 1, 2 on day 2, etc) until your milk comes in (which will be around day 3-7).  After your milk comes in, expect 5-8 wet diapers per day.  

At first, you will only produce colostrum.  This is all baby needs.  Remember, her stomach is the size of her fist...super tiny.  You can't fit a whole lot in there.  After your milk comes in, continue to nurse whenever she wants...this will help build your supply.  I would hold off on bottles until after at least 6 weeks, if you can.  This will help regulate your supply and also help to avoid nipple confusion.  Daddy can still bond with her by changing diapers, getting her dressed in the morning/night, playing with her, or helping you get comfortable to nurse.

Nurse every time she wants to.  Even if you just nursed her 30 mins ago.  This is essential to establish supply.  Your body will make what you take out.  If you don't take out, your body won't make it.  Nursing is a cycle.  

Don't let anyone tell you to supplement with formula based on weight gain/loss.  Weight is NOT a reliable form of output (to a point it is, but if she has the required wet/dirty diapers in a day, she is getting enough food).  Supplementing is a horrible thing.  lol  It will create a vicious cycle which is hard to get out of.  I know from experience.  With my first I was told to supplement...I nursed for 1 week.  After that...I just couldn't get back into it.  

If you have any questions about ANYTHING...feel free to PM me.  I nursed my second child for 13 months and am on month 11 with my youngest right now.  GL!

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Forgot, check out kellymom.com for help too.  :)

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

erikadi
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I prefer electric because then you don't have to spend time pumping with your hands. It is expensive and I don't know what the cost difference is. With the medela you have to make sure the suction cups are on your breast correctly. Once they are on I don't remember having to hold them on.

Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I prefer electric. Manual can be time consuming and a pain in the butt. 
If you only plan on pumping on ocassion, I would go with a maual pump though. You would get more of your monies worth that way.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)