Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Separation anxiety

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 19 Replies
My nine month old won't let me leave his sight without bursting into tears! He will not stop crying unless I pick him up. This has been going on for about three weeks and it's driving me nuts!! I can't get anything done and I'm so tired. He refuses to sleep when he should, like I'm going to disappear when he closes his eyes. How do I fix this? When does it go away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Play in the floor with him, gradually getting further. Might even try putting a blanket over you and playing peekaboo...show him even when youre gone, you still come back. Seperation anxiety is hard and is a hit and miss with ways to deal with it. It will ventually go away. Good luck! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, at 9 months old I wore my babies. (I actually still wear my 19 month old on occassion). If I wouldn't have worn them at the younger ages I wouldn't have ever gotten anything done. At 9 months old it is very common for a child to have seperation anxiety. I would play peak a boo with my sons also.

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's necessarily something that can be "fixed".  It's just a normal part of brain development.  I know it can be rough though, big hugs to you!!!!  I would recommend babywearing to pass the phase.  It does go away with time and I think the best way to make it go faster is just to meet the child's needs during this needy period so that baby feels secure.

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Quoting DixieFlower:

Honestly, at 9 months old I wore my babies. (I actually still wear my 19 month old on occassion). If I wouldn't have worn them at the younger ages I wouldn't have ever gotten anything done. At 9 months old it is very common for a child to have seperation anxiety. I would play peak a boo with my sons also.

^yeah, that :).

Charliesmommy11
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Baby wearing is a life saver during that phase. They do get past it for the most part and providing them with that security actually helps out later in life so your not leaving a screaming 3 year old at daycare every morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM
What Jamie said...

Quoting jltplk25:

Play in the floor with him, gradually getting further. Might even try putting a blanket over you and playing peekaboo...show him even when youre gone, you still come back. Seperation anxiety is hard and is a hit and miss with ways to deal with it. It will ventually go away. Good luck! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisajo76
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I will try that. I've tried talking to him as I leave so he hears my voice but as soon as I'm out of sight, there's the tears. I guess I need to try a slower technique.

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM

My dd went through the same thing. I am still at a loss as to how it passed, but it DOES pass eventually. Just keep trying to put him down and do other things. The more you do it, the more likely it is that he will realise that mommy is going to come right back. 

erikadi
by Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I know that more than likely it will go away I just don't know when. Is he crawling at all? Once he is more mobile he might not have as much of a problem. I know that when my son was able to sit up he became much happier. There is something called a moby wrap and that will keep him close to you and you can walk around hands free. He can be positioned where he is facing out front or have him chest to chest with you.

lisajo76
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM
He's crawling and even standing now but he hates to be left alone.

Quoting erikadi:

I know that more than likely it will go away I just don't know when. Is he crawling at all? Once he is more mobile he might not have as much of a problem. I know that when my son was able to sit up he became much happier. There is something called a moby wrap and that will keep him close to you and you can walk around hands free. He can be positioned where he is facing out front or have him chest to chest with you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN