Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PSA about hypoallergenic dogs

Posted by   + Show Post

I just have to put this out there bc I have seen how people react when their "hypoallergenic dog" is a dander ridden allergy ball. Mixing a furred, dander producing dog with a poodle or bichon will not make it "hypoallergenic" that's crazy and any breeder who promises their 1st,2nd or even 3rd generation labradoodle, goldendoodle, peekapoo, yorkiepoo, shipoo is either being deliberately deceptive or is extremely uninformed. Yes they may have produce fewer allergens compared to a dog that contains no poodle but they may also produce the exact same amount of allergens as your average lab or whatever. Also, in sever cases people may still be allergic to poodles and bichons, which is why many reputable breeders will not claim their dogs are hypoallergenic.  Another myth, hairless dogs actually create more allergic reactions since it's the skin you are allergic too in addition to or instead of the fur. (With cats people are actually allergic to the proteins in their saliva which is distributed onto their fur then they groom themselves.) Long haired breeds are not all hypo allergenic and some are among the worst for allergy suffers bc they are double coated with a hair/fur coat. The only reason fewer people are allergic to poodles and bichons is because they have actual hair similar to human hair and skin to match it. Depending on the nature of your allergy some people have better luck with well groomed wire haired breeds but that goes away if they clipper trim the dog and don't strip the hair. Don't believe google or sites that are designed to sell puppies and have an info page, they lie. 

Getting down off the soap box now. 

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
kaitybird
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Shedding is not really the problem....:)  It is the dander.  Dander is in not FUR!  I don't like shedding either but a dog still has dander NO matter how you look at it.  

Quoting PookaboosMom:

I have a "hypo allergenic" dog

Lol. ..
I totally realize that's true though...they can still cause allergens....I just chose the breed because they hardly shed and I can't stand having dog hair all over everything.

Maevelyn
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Quoting PookaboosMom:

Lol. ..
I totally realize that's true though...they can still cause allergens....I just chose the breed because they hardly shed and I can't stand having dog hair all over everything.

Not shedding is a completely reasonable expecation, although a lot of people are upset that they have to brush the dog. No matterh what kind of dog you get there is some up keep. It's amazing how many people want a dog to just sit and look cute but decide against a stuffed animal lol. 

PookaboosMom
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Oh yeah I have to get brush my dog three times a day and shave her in the summer

Quoting Maevelyn:

Quoting PookaboosMom:

Lol. ..

Not shedding is a completely reasonable expecation, although a lot of people are upset that they have to brush the dog. No matterh what kind of dog you get there is some up keep. It's amazing how many people want a dog to just sit and look cute but decide against a stuffed animal lol. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Nice point of view.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM
I have a miniature schnauzer and I keep his hair short because it's much easier upkeep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

I have a miniature schnauzer and I keep his hair short because it's much easier upkeep.

schnauzers are so odd, either they matt in no time at all or they never even get tangled. 

OliviasMommy611
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I keep him short bc te matting is just as you said and he hates being combed especially if it gets long enough to matt.

Quoting Maevelyn:

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

schnauzers are so odd, either they matt in no time at all or they never even get tangled. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I thought it was the outside allergens trapped in the hair of the shedding animal that caused peoples allergies to act up, not the animal at all. I've never heard of being allergic to the animals actual skin.

Maevelyn
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Quoting Mommy4000:

I thought it was the outside allergens trapped in the hair of the shedding animal that caused peoples allergies to act up, not the animal at all. I've never heard of being allergic to the animals actual skin.

It can be both, long coated dogs can trap other allergens in (like walking around with a fluffy blanket everywhere you go) but a true allergy can be either to the fur, skin or both. By far the worst reaction I've ever seen was to a hairless dog, the poor kid couldn't even breath and his airway closed up the first night. Sometimes people are allergic to what they wash the dog with and that can cause problems. It just makes sense if you have an allergy to certain human hair care products you will have the same reaction to similar pet products, although many people seem to be allergic to the actual fragrances. 

SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I didn't know that.  We are a cat family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)