Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Fathers day piog

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM
  • 6 Replies
We obviously know that Fathers day is meant to celebrate a "man". Society says if you're not a man you don't "mean" squat where this day is concerned. Now I play both mom and dad in my dd's life. She hasn't seen her "dad" loosely used since 7/14/2009 his choice not mine. Shouldn't women like myself celebrate it as though it's another "mothers day"? It got me to thinking because my pastor told me happy fathers day cause im the father. Im not talking about single moms whom their kids see their dad no offense. I just know the role won't be on me as much when DF and I get married as he will be her step dad. Im talking about the now time where there are women like me who have to play both roles. Sorry im rambling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs, I never thought of it that way but honestly we don't really celebrate mother's day or father's day around here other than receiving the stuff our kids make for us.  It seems more like a hallmark holiday designed to celebrate consumerism to me.  But I guess that's the cynical side of me talking.  I see nothing wrong with celebrating it for yourself if you want.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Thank you for your response

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Hugs, I never thought of it that way but honestly we don't really celebrate mother's day or father's day around here other than receiving the stuff our kids make for us.  It seems more like a hallmark holiday designed to celebrate consumerism to me.  But I guess that's the cynical side of me talking.  I see nothing wrong with celebrating it for yourself if you want.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I saw a lot of "Happy father's day to the mom's that do both jobs" posts on FB on Sunday, and frankly, it bugged me. Not so much because I don't agree that women like you aren't doing both parts but because I never saw anything like that on Mother's Day for the men that I know do both jobs. Guess I'm all for equality, lol. Personally, we do celebrate both days in our family, but we make sure that both DH and I know how appreciated we are every day. I don't need a holiday to tell me that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is fine...if you are there for her as both roles...why not?

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it would be fine.

DixieFlower
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I personally never understood the "both roles thing" My mom divorced my father when I was 5 yrs old. The last time he saw us was when I was 9yrs old. After that it was just mom and us girls. I always saw her as my mom. Not as mom and dad. What would be the "dad role" things that she did? I think that each parent brings their own things to the table when it comes to children. So when one parent is absent it's not really taking over the role of the other parent. There really isn't a way to do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)