Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Family Decals and Other Identifiers

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to the Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

You deserve a few minutes to yourself so we are going to
pour a virtual drink of your choice and serve up tasty treats for you.
But be sure to let us know what you would like!!

While you wait we saw an interesting topic on the site
and we'd like to talk about it here.

1. Look at the pictures above.
Imagine you have a stranger in town. Your kid has this backpack, you have this bumper sticker on your car and this sign is on your house.
See where this is going?

2. How do you feel about products that identify you or your family?

3. Do you think they are cute or dangerous? WHY?

While you wait be sure to check these posts out!

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Replies (41-48):
DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It is sick. These people devote enormous time to honing their craft. No matter how much we try to stay one step ahead, it simply doesnt compare to the amount of time these people spend perfecting their techniques. People dont realize how little things like this can hide that big red target on their child. It scares me to death when I see kids with their names on stuff. Its really cute and I can see the love parents put into the items they gave their child but it is also something a predator is trained to notice. Something so loving shouldnt be turned into something so heinous but the truth is, its heinous. So sad. Our world should be a safe place. Its not. All we can do is everything possible to make the kids as safe as possible within it. 

Quoting Cafe Beth:

1st red part - Isn't it amazing? And sad. And sick.

2nd red part - This amazes me even more. I can't fathom intentionally wanting to hurt someone, especially a child.

Here's a little treat for you. Enjoy!

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

I have been a mom for over 18 years and I have always felt that puting your child's identifying information on shirts or other gear is the dumbest thing you can do. First of all, when children are younger they are not cognizant of the fact their name is in big letters on the back of their ball jerzey's or back packs. When a stranger calls out their name, they are likely to be more trusting without realziing the stranger knew their name because it was on their gear. By placing identifiers on your car you make it known you have a child and the relative age of the child. Predators will pick up on this and possibly follow you as a target. Never put your child's name on anything that is visible to the general public. Dont let parental pride displace your responsibility to protect your child. Be aware that little things can give you the least/most protection. Child predators spend a lot of time mastering their skills. They are honed in on vulnerablities. As parents, we have to be equally dedicated to protecting out kids against people like this and sometimes the littlest things can have the biggest impact. Dont give predators the upperhand. When I coached or was just a mom on the sidelines at all of my kids sporting events I never allowed their names to be on their jersery's nor those of my teams. Everyone that needs to know who they are is already at the game. There is no reason why anyone else needs to know their names. Protect your kids because there are a lot of people out there who want to do them harm. 

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Oh. And Thanks! Cheers!

Quoting Cafe Beth:

2nd red part - This amazes me even more. I can't fathom intentionally wanting to hurt someone, especially a child.

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

I have been a mom for over 18 years and I have always felt that puting your child's identifying information on shirts or other gear is the dumbest thing you can do. First of all, when children are younger they are not cognizant of the fact their name is in big letters on the back of their ball jerzey's or back packs. When a stranger calls out their name, they are likely to be more trusting without realziing the stranger knew their name because it was on their gear. By placing identifiers on your car you make it known you have a child and the relative age of the child. Predators will pick up on this and possibly follow you as a target. Never put your child's name on anything that is visible to the general public. Dont let parental pride displace your responsibility to protect your child. Be aware that little things can give you the least/most protection. Child predators spend a lot of time mastering their skills. They are honed in on vulnerablities. As parents, we have to be equally dedicated to protecting out kids against people like this and sometimes the littlest things can have the biggest impact. Dont give predators the upperhand. When I coached or was just a mom on the sidelines at all of my kids sporting events I never allowed their names to be on their jersery's nor those of my teams. Everyone that needs to know who they are is already at the game. There is no reason why anyone else needs to know their names. Protect your kids because there are a lot of people out there who want to do them harm. 

Cafe Beth
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

youre welcome Cheers to you too!!!

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

Oh. And Thanks! Cheers!

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

DixieFlower
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I don't have a problem with any of them. I grew up with names on jackets and backpacks. Statistically our children are not in anymore harm now than they were in the 80's. A child is more likely to be kidnapped by someone they know or is an acquaintance of the family than from a stranger. As a child I was taught not to go with anyone I didn't know. No matter what they told me. Even if they knew my name or said they knew my mom.

Statistics on Child Abduction

Parents Fear Kidnapping More Than Car Accidents - What are the Odds?

"statistics show that lots more children are taken by acquaintances or people they know, primarily for the purpose of sexually assaulting them, so the parental fear may not be as overblown as it seems."

Confronting the fact that heinous crimes are committed against children probably makes people feel worse, regardless of whether the statistics show small or large numbers. But staying informed and knowing the facts can be useful when considering how to instruct children. Here are some statistics:

According to the FBI and The US Dept. of Justice:

• 800,000 juveniles (under 18) are reported missing each year, but this includes runaways.
  • "Family kidnapping" accounts for nearly 50% of all child kidnappings.
  • Approximately 80% of acquaintance and stranger kidnappings are sexually motivated.
  • For every 10,000 missing child reports (including runaways) around one child was killed, according to the U.S. Justice Department in 1990.

shortiesmom24
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM

A french cappuccino, I would not have a sticker with the nme of my childs school on it or a sign that says are location with our last name way to dangerous.... Like the back pack though!

CafeMom Tickers
splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM
I think those family stick people decals are tacky. Even if they weren't I don't think I would be comfortable giving away that much info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Dangerous. I put my dd's name on the inside of everything. I wouldn't want some stranger to see it, say her name and make out like he knows her or us. Not that he'd be able to say her name properly on the 1st try but still.

thedahliascene
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

grande caramel machiatto haha.

the truth is that a backpack with your kids name all over it makes it easier for predators to know their name. this is NOT a good thing. yes, you've taught your kid stranger danger and about not going home with someone who says mommy sent them, but that doesn't mean they'll follow through in times of need. panic sets in when a child is told their parents are in danger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN