Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crazy Sleeper!

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ladies, I need your help!
My son is 19 weeks old and just last week or so he started trying to roll over. He goes from his back to about 3/4 over. He can't seem to get his right arm out from under his body.
The problem is, he's started sleeping like this. I lay him down on his back in his crib and he immediately rolls over to his right side. His arm is stretched out beneath him (which looks like it may be uncomfortable for his shoulder) and his head to the side and tilted back. I try to reposition him so he's not like that all night, but he immediately goes back to that same position. He stays like this all night. I am not sure if he is able to right himself on his own, but every morning now, he wakes up screaming in pain from what I can only imagine is a stiff neck and a sore shoulder. His arm is slightly discolored from sleeping on it, and the right side of his face is puffy from sleeping on it all night.
After a few minutes massaging his shoulder and neck area, he seems fine, but his face remains puffy for a couple of hours and I'm concerned that sleeping and napping like this every day will cause lasting damage to his posture or mobility.
Any advice or anyone who can relate? I don't know what to do!

Thanks!

<3

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabunny102
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:29 AM

BUMP!

Mary762
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Have you tried rolling a recieving blanket into a tight roll and putting it right at his back up against him so he can't roll over, they even make those wedges for this purpose. My oldest son was the same way so I started rolling up one of his blankets to put right at his back and it helped!!

mamabunny102
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I'm I should try that. I have the wedges too, but I guess I was worried about him wriggling and getting his face stuck in it.

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My DS did this too (well without the weird arm part), I just started putting him to bed on his side.  Happy baby, happy mommy.  Now he's all over the place.  I put him to bed and he goes everywhere.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I used to use a bumper thing my dd slept in. I'll try to find a pic.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM

ok this is similar. I'm assuming the pink thing is just a blanket and not part of the bumper.

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I used the sleep positioner with my first and then there were a lot of warnings against them so I would just be sure to research that and make sure that whatever you use is safe.  Other than that, I really think the baby could get back to his back if he really wanted to unless there is some kind of problem -- if a problem is suspected, I would talk to your pediatrician.  Hope it works itself out soon!

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

You can buy one of those things to help prevent rolling but as someone who went through the same thing with my now one year old, they really are going to do what they want to and that especially goes for sleeping!

mamabunny102
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I've put wedges in his bed for the last few days, and he just manages to wriggle inbetween them and get to the same position. I guess I'll just have to wait this one out. D=

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Hope it gets better...

Quoting mamabunny102:

I've put wedges in his bed for the last few days, and he just manages to wriggle inbetween them and get to the same position. I guess I'll just have to wait this one out. D=

floating in pool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)