Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Those of you that suffer with migraines -- Update!

Like I do....
How do you cope with them? Have you been to a Dr and been prescribed any medication?
I've been to the neurologist and he told me to "ween" myself off of tylenol and to pretty much deal with them...

Update:

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful replies! I'm sorry I haven't responded to each one.. I've been slack I know!! Lol. I am going to the Dr next week to see about what meds (if any) are good for me. I hope something works out because I hate when I have a migraine and can't function like I normally would!
As most of you said the ice pack, dark and quiet room definitely helps but most of the time I can't get that, lol (3 yr old & 9 month old) so, since I'm usually pretty busy I think maybe medication would be my best option.
But like I said thank you all so much! :):)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Replies (31-37):
jcf523
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM
To become dependent on pain MEDS takes an awful long time. If you take now and then it is not going to be a problem. There is a difference is terminology also. Addicted is when drugs are attained illegally. Dependent is when you get then legally under the care of your Dr. If this is a concern you need to discuss this with the Dr. I take Methodone 70 mg daily and Percocet 4x10x325 daily. I am dependent. I will never go off them so for me it does not matter. These also do not help me at all with my migraines. There are great MEDS out there for migraines. I suffered with them for years. I was in bed for the better part of a month before I finally went and got help. I am going to a neurologist as they deal with the head. She did some tests in the office and also an MRI. I suffered for years. Now I take Imitrex in both tablet and when that does not work I use injections. I should have gone to the ER a couple of time but I was so bad I could not imagine being in bright lights or, with noise.

Good
Luck
jcf523
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Imitrex is still made and is available in generic. They have also come out with a new product so that can go back on patent and it is Imitrex and naproxen. I do not take the new drug but do take the combo.
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I'm anti pain pills. I have a little bit of caffeine curves mine when they get unbearable I will take medicine. I try to keep up my water intake and do yoga, it seems to help me personally.

qkforever
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I do get medication.  It took a while to find the one that worked for one.  I had reaction to a few of them.  I used to take Tylenol and all those meds but they were giving me rebound headaches ( what my dr told me).  The main thing is staying away my triggers but when I get ready to start  my period  have migraines for 3 days before and within the last 2 days of it. It is really hard to deal with them because my meds really don't work doing that time.  You need to go to a another doctor and see if they will give you meds.  I went as long as i could but there was no reason to be in pain.  

jcf523
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM
How much Topamax do you take? I take 25mg 2xday. It helps. I had gone to 125 but was so screwed up I back off.
jcf523
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:07 AM
I have also been told that some caffeine can help. I do not drink any at other times. Decaf coffee, soda. It seems to help sometimes. Just a thought.
jcf523
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)