Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Those of you that suffer with migraines -- Update!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
  • 37 Replies
Like I do....
How do you cope with them? Have you been to a Dr and been prescribed any medication?
I've been to the neurologist and he told me to "ween" myself off of tylenol and to pretty much deal with them...

Update:

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful replies! I'm sorry I haven't responded to each one.. I've been slack I know!! Lol. I am going to the Dr next week to see about what meds (if any) are good for me. I hope something works out because I hate when I have a migraine and can't function like I normally would!
As most of you said the ice pack, dark and quiet room definitely helps but most of the time I can't get that, lol (3 yr old & 9 month old) so, since I'm usually pretty busy I think maybe medication would be my best option.
But like I said thank you all so much! :):)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Winter-Goddess
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Tylenol, Aleve, Advil, etc doesn't work on me anymore. I'm scared to try any pain pills and get addicted to them. I usually take a large ice pak and put on top of my head. The coldness slows down the rush of blood and helps. I also get a cheap massage twice a month and I go to the Chiropractor once a week. My insurance pays for that.

I feel for you. My head hurts so bad sometimes I want to scream and cry like 2 year old.

Mainstream Moms-Yes, it's a label. Come join the normal side of parenting. This is the gray area.

unsuspected
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I talked to my primary care Dr. about mine and he gave me a prescription for some hard core pain killer.  I never had it filled.  I don't want to become addicted to pain meds, so I just take ibprofen or Excedrine when I need to.  But really, the best thing that works for me is a dark, cool room and a nap ... LOL how often does THAT happen?!?  

But I have a headache 24/7 it seems, last week I had the wort headache of my life, I was actually vomiting and every part of my head HURT, even moving my jaw to talk.  

I need to go back to my Dr and seriously discuss other options.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM
I'm allergic to most migraine medications. Over the counter never works.

I tolerate it as long as I possibly can then normally I end up in the ER. The only thing that works is 5mg of Diladid, benadryl, and fenagrin.

I can wait until I find something that actually works that doesn't carry a high chance of addiction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jassysmama
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

try ice i know it sounds weird but it works for me. aleve works best for me too feel better!feel better

littlepinkrose
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Well when Excedrin Migraine was still on the shelf if I took it at the first sign of the headache it usually worked.  I got a prescription for migraine medicine but it was too strong.  It worked but it took 2 hours and I would feel very nauseous so I did not get a refill.  Pain meds work but are addicting.  I also do the dark room and cool rag or ice pack on my head.  Stress is a big cause so try and do yoga or some kind of relaxation techniques before you get an attack and it might stave some off.  hormones are also a biggie and age will help with that.  Good luck! 

peridotesky7
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I only got migraines when I was on birth control pills, but they were terrible. I can't imagine just trying to "deal" with them. They are unbearable!

I hate taking any kind of meds, I'm just like that, but with migraines I would literally take anything that someone offered me if I thought it would help. My mom is on prescription meds for back pain and I took a vicodin before and I even tried a methodone once because I thought my skull was going to explode. 

Needless to say, I got off the pill. Wasn't worth the side effects, for sure.

mizhoward
by Felicia on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I use Excedrine migraine, but I have a prescription for Imitrex and I take Topimax on a daily baisis.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I deal.  My mom and sister are both pill poppers and I refuse to be like them.  I rarely take anything unless I'm to a point where I thimk I might throw up.

Kandiface
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Fiorocet is amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom4fun695
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

My pcp put me on Zonisamide and it has been a miracle.. It's not a "pain pill" it actually kills my migraines within a short amount of time.. It might not work for everyone but ask you Dr if you're interested..

Hope you get some relief .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN