Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Those of you that suffer with migraines -- Update!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
  • 37 Replies
Like I do....
How do you cope with them? Have you been to a Dr and been prescribed any medication?
I've been to the neurologist and he told me to "ween" myself off of tylenol and to pretty much deal with them...

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful replies! I'm sorry I haven't responded to each one.. I've been slack I know!! Lol. I am going to the Dr next week to see about what meds (if any) are good for me. I hope something works out because I hate when I have a migraine and can't function like I normally would!
As most of you said the ice pack, dark and quiet room definitely helps but most of the time I can't get that, lol (3 yr old & 9 month old) so, since I'm usually pretty busy I think maybe medication would be my best option.
But like I said thank you all so much! :):)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Tylenol, Aleve, Advil, etc doesn't work on me anymore. I'm scared to try any pain pills and get addicted to them. I usually take a large ice pak and put on top of my head. The coldness slows down the rush of blood and helps. I also get a cheap massage twice a month and I go to the Chiropractor once a week. My insurance pays for that.

I feel for you. My head hurts so bad sometimes I want to scream and cry like 2 year old.

Mainstream Moms-Yes, it's a label. Come join the normal side of parenting. This is the gray area.

by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I talked to my primary care Dr. about mine and he gave me a prescription for some hard core pain killer.  I never had it filled.  I don't want to become addicted to pain meds, so I just take ibprofen or Excedrine when I need to.  But really, the best thing that works for me is a dark, cool room and a nap ... LOL how often does THAT happen?!?  

But I have a headache 24/7 it seems, last week I had the wort headache of my life, I was actually vomiting and every part of my head HURT, even moving my jaw to talk.  

I need to go back to my Dr and seriously discuss other options.

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM
I'm allergic to most migraine medications. Over the counter never works.

I tolerate it as long as I possibly can then normally I end up in the ER. The only thing that works is 5mg of Diladid, benadryl, and fenagrin.

I can wait until I find something that actually works that doesn't carry a high chance of addiction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

try ice i know it sounds weird but it works for me. aleve works best for me too feel better!feel better

by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Well when Excedrin Migraine was still on the shelf if I took it at the first sign of the headache it usually worked.  I got a prescription for migraine medicine but it was too strong.  It worked but it took 2 hours and I would feel very nauseous so I did not get a refill.  Pain meds work but are addicting.  I also do the dark room and cool rag or ice pack on my head.  Stress is a big cause so try and do yoga or some kind of relaxation techniques before you get an attack and it might stave some off.  hormones are also a biggie and age will help with that.  Good luck! 

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I only got migraines when I was on birth control pills, but they were terrible. I can't imagine just trying to "deal" with them. They are unbearable!

I hate taking any kind of meds, I'm just like that, but with migraines I would literally take anything that someone offered me if I thought it would help. My mom is on prescription meds for back pain and I took a vicodin before and I even tried a methodone once because I thought my skull was going to explode. 

Needless to say, I got off the pill. Wasn't worth the side effects, for sure.

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I use Excedrine migraine, but I have a prescription for Imitrex and I take Topimax on a daily baisis.

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I deal.  My mom and sister are both pill poppers and I refuse to be like them.  I rarely take anything unless I'm to a point where I thimk I might throw up.

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Fiorocet is amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

My pcp put me on Zonisamide and it has been a miracle.. It's not a "pain pill" it actually kills my migraines within a short amount of time.. It might not work for everyone but ask you Dr if you're interested..

Hope you get some relief .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN